A Blast from the Past - The Remake of Challenge 7

Hello All,

WELCOME TO THE ONE-WEEK DATA CHALLENGE

“A blast from the past - The remake of Challenge 7

The Intro

I wish everyone enjoyed Enteprise DNA Challenge 19 and is excited about Reporting & Data Visualization Summit. Please register to the summit to obtain the dataset, registration link below.

After Data Challenge 19, our data challenge community had grown up to 750+ members within 45 days. 52 posts had been viewed over 30k times and commented 500 times. Moreover, we were pleased to accept 55 final entries with 200+ analysis pages and 150+ navigation buttons. However, everyone wants to enjoy more! Now, we launch a one-week data challenge to remake/redesign Challenge 7 “Purchase, Inventory and Sales” .

The report we would like you to redesign, was created by Mudassir Syed Ali an Enterprise DNA Expert, in September 2020.

Link to report in the web – Challenge 7

It is time to rethink, reimage, reanalyze, redesign and report!!!

• Rethink the datasets and requests
  • Reimage the reporting design, leveraging the latest technologies or tool you have learned
  • Reanalyze the data to approve your understanding
  • Redesign your report to enhance user experience
  • Report your core insights to a higher level

The Brief

About the Dataset:

One Excel file with 3 worksheets:

• Purchases – This data shows us the date that our business raised a purchase order for a particular product and the amount of the product.
  • Receiving – This data shows when we as a company took stock of the materials, which we have ordered e.g., the products arrived in our warehouse.
  • Billing – This is the transactional data of what we sold to which customer.

Business Requests:

• Monitor Purchase/Receive/Billing trend
  • Track receiving time elapsed by material and customer
  • Find best seller materials by time
  • Some other findings upon to your analysis

Important Read - Please be alert and ready

A one-page report (bookmarks and tooltips allowed).
Several prizes to be won!!!

Challenge Running Time

Start: Friday, 20nd May 2022 (GMT) to End: Saturday, 28th May 2022 (GMT)

----------------------------------

Submission of entries

To be considered within the competition, entries are due no later than 11:59pm GMT Saturday , 28th , 2022.

How to submit:

Email the completed PBIX file together with a screenshot of your report to:

powerbichallenge@enterprisedna.co
federico.pastor@enterprisedna.co

4 Likes

Just to be clear, we are to download Mudassir’s report and revamp ?

1 Like

@David,

Nope, but almost, you register for the summit and download the dataset, just the data set, from the summit registration page and then revamp his report.

Are you in is only 7 days :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, now I get you.

A 7 day turnaround…so going on my past history…erm…eh…I’ll submit mine in the 7 days between 08/08/22 & 14/08/22 :joy: :wave:

2 Likes

@FPastor

Hello,

I just downloaded the file but it contains only one worksheet called “Billing” with purchase orders data.

1 Like

@Milos,

Scroll to the left, little arrow at the bottom of the page, you should see the other 2 tabs!!

Let me know this is OK.

Federico Pastor

Oh God… Sorry :grinning:

1 Like

@Milos
No worries!!!

:grinning:

Federico

1 Like

Good morning @FPastor,
In the sales data there are some records that have a billing date but as tons billed it has a null value.
Do we consider for these cases the amounts invoiced are the same as those received?

Regards,

1 Like

@jafernandezpuga

Hi Jose,

I have not been given directions in this regard and we should not, therefore, make assumptions. I would calculate them independetly!!!

I hope this clarifies.

Federico

1 Like

Hey Platform Members :person_raising_hand:t3:,

:fire::fire:Please see my entry for the one-week challenge " A blast from the Past - The remake of Challenge 7" by @MudassirAli

Oneweek to redesign a report, it is not easy but one week to redesign nicely a report from @MudassirAli almost mission impossible, “Where is Tom Cruise when you need him” :sunglasses:

3 main considerations in my brainstorming process :exploding_head:

1. Timeline :spiral_calendar:

2. Understanding the data :bar_chart:

3. Creating something totally different :fearful:

My take ended on :arrow_right: creating a metrics report “mini-metrics” ensuring alignment and sizing is spot on when working in tight spaces. Keep exploring shadow effects, new fonts, and layout. Important use of “Edit interactions” so filters only apply to my requirements. Introduce some new native viz, ribbon chart introduced. Experiment with the new parameter function. :grin::+1:t3:

:dart::dart:Most important ensuring that my mini metrics matched with the metrics in the pic provided in the challenge’s brief :dart::dart:

Well, I have been very busy over the weekend, and this is the result. I hope you like it :+1:t3::+1:t3:

:bell::bell: Still plenty of time to enter the One-week Challenge and to join the EDNA Analytics summit. To obtain the dataset join the summit and scroll down in the summit page to find the challenge section, download the dataset, and check the instructions to join the Challenge :bell::bell:

See link to the report.

I hope you like it!!!

Regards,

Federico Pastor

7 Likes

Top notch as always Federico! :clap:

2 Likes

This is more than just a revamp. It is really fantastic!!!

2 Likes

@DavieJoe

Thank you David :+1:t3:

1 Like

its more than a revamp :slight_smile: . looks fantastic. Did you use bookmarks for the Button toggling?

2 Likes

@Josimar_Biosse

Remember a movie called “Hackers” ---- “Fight with the bests die like the rest”…

Always trying to improve.

Thank you very much.

Federico

2 Likes

@baijumohan

Thank you for your kind words.

Left and right are normal slicers and the center is the new parameter function in Power BI another slicer.

No buttons in this one.

Regards,

Federico

1 Like

Here’s my submission.

Mostly completed on live session yesterday. A few touch ups today

As a contrast here was my same submission last time around

4 Likes

Top work Federico. Looks amazing.

1 Like

:bell::bell::bell:𝗗𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗮 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀, 𝘄𝗲 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝗻𝗼𝘄!!!:bell::bell::bell:

𝟯 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐨𝐧𝐞-𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞. 𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲-𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲 “𝗔 𝗕𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗮𝘀𝘁 – 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲 𝟳” 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝟮𝟴𝘁𝗵 𝗠𝗮𝘆 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 𝗮𝘁 𝟮𝟯:𝟱𝟵𝗵𝗿𝘀 𝗚𝗠𝗧.

:muscle::muscle::muscle:We’re over halfway now. With two more action packed days left! Below are the links for the event:

Public & member-only workshops - https://lnkd.in/eA7tADew
Replays as they become available - https://lnkd.in/e_ZGPuZU

:blue_book::blue_book::blue_book:EDNA learning platform always supports your self-learning effective and efficient. Please check it out:

:family_man_woman_boy_boy::family_man_woman_girl_boy::family_man_man_boy:Your data challenge family is with you anytime you need help. It is time to post your in-progress report or final entry, any shared screenshots are welcomed and appreciated.
Let’s invite more talents to our family:

Best of luck.

Federico Pastor