A Blast from the Past - The Remake of Challenge 7 Entry from Pete

Here’s a snapshot of @BINavPete’s entry for A Blast from the Past - The Remake of Challenge 7 (Remake of Mudassir’s Report).

Here’s how Pete described it:

Wasn’t sure I’d get it done in time because too much client work going on, but got there in the end and managed a round of golf this morning. @sam.mckay probably knocked his out with one hand while playing tennis with the other :joy:

The journey here was pretty tricky really; multiple Received /invoiced dates for Orders/materials made this the trickiest part. Usually I like to keep the data feed simple with little PQ and manage the DAX to make things happen. Plenty of USERELATIONSHIP here which is easy enough but the multiple date row thing was DAX difficult for me. So did a lot of the manipulation in PQ with some max dates. Once that was done - all pretty cool. Now I’m submitted I will have a look back through some of the original entries and see how the multiple dates thing was managed.

Had to double check my margin maths in Excel (yes I can still operate Excel!) because was showing very low margins. But margins were correct and business not really viable/poorly run. They probably couldn’t afford a PBI consultant. :joy:

The learnings for me here came out of the last challenge and I managed to implement them correctly:

• Needed to overcome an issue I had in last Challenge with multiple bookmark navigators. Bit of a lightbulb moment once I understood the selected visuals bit on the bookmark setup menu.
  • I have always set my navigators at top of the canvas with slicers, but saw in last challenge that participants were putting them near to where they might be used; especially if the navigator is only for one visual. Adopted this approach and looks cool with top slicers not looking as cluttered Now got the job of revamping some of my real world solutions for this - nice touch.

But the simplest things that you don’t know are always the coolest - managed to get the hyperlink to the “Publish to Web” to work

Here’s the link to the report:
Microsoft Power BI

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

1 Like

Thanks for joining the challenge Pete. See you in the next round of eDNA Challenge!