Power BI Challenge 8- Jira IT service Desk Analysis

A question re amendment 2. Handling records without a due date. Approx 2/3 of the issues don’t have a due date. Does this mean that we should be changing the status column to “Work in Progress” for all of these tickets? Might make the data look a bit odd with so many incomplete tickets?

Hello @Luke ! I do not know if there is a best approach to solve this, but in correcting the status for issues without a due date I am taking into account multiple parameters.
For example, for an issue that does not have a due date but has a resolved date, I am considering a Status like “Resolved but Incomplete”. If the issue does not have a resolved date, due date & assignee I consider as status “Unassigned” etc etc. You can create as many scenarii as you want. It all depends on the analysis you want to do, the message you want to transmit and the story you want to buid. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hello

I have a question.
In the column “Status”, what is the difference between Open and Openend?

@alejos1971 I think the employees are also bad in grammar :smile:

3 Likes

MudassirAli :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Is there a way to get the unique ranking with RankX?
I am ranking tickets raised by Status but getting the duplicate rankings. I worked on a visual whole day and can’t get it to work in the end just because of the rank ties. If it’s not possible then I would have to redo everything :pensive:

@MudassirAli,

I actually did a video on this issue a few months ago. Hope you find it helpful.

• Brian
3 Likes

@Luke,

I think @alexbadiu’s response is 100% spot on. I happen to know that other than the names, this is a completely real-world dataset. Thus, I think analyses of anomalies in recording/reporting, deviations from best practices, etc. fall into the brief category of “identifying patterns for recurring issues so we can identify which areas may need management intervention”, and would be well-received by the client.

– Brian

2 Likes

@BrianJ

Thanks a lot for the solution. Really loved the way how you built out the story and showed how duplicate #1 ranks can be damaging :smile:.
I will try this one today.

@MudassirAli,

Thanks - I had a lot of fun making that one. Hope it provides what you need for your analysis. I am beyond intrigued to see the visualization you spent an entire day on. Is this a new Charticulator visual you cooked up in the lab?

• Brian
1 Like

@BrianJ
I am just lost in creating own made custom visuals and have been going back and forth to get what I need and have successfully managed to pull off some cool visuals. The best thing that I like about Charticulator visuals is that you can disable the auto-size for axes, the option that I had been looking for in various challenges.
I have been trying to get the visuals similar to Tableau that allow parallel coordinates to design outstanding looking visuals. I hope the Power Bi will give the option to design your own visuals inside the service. Will have to wait till then.

1 Like

@MudassirAli,

Watching the amazing stuff that you and @datazoe are doing with this tool, it really does make me wonder why Microsoft hasn’t invested more in it, publicized it more, and integrated it with the desktop client? It seems the one area where Tableau still has a substantial advantage over Power BI is in visualizations, and this could really help close that gap.

Have you seen this paper below by the Charticulator developers?

In it, they also have a really cool gallery of a dozen custom visuals they designed using Charticulator.

Can’t wait to see your submission for this challenge.

– Brian

1 Like

@BrianJ
Yes, I did see the paper but still not many material around to learn from. So far what I have noticed is that there is some problem in re-using the custom made visual for a slightly different dataset. This can easily be fixed by Microsoft and I am also surprised why they didn’t invest more after rolling it out.
So far I have tried almost every visual shown in the Charticulator Gallery to see what will work out in the recent challenge.
I hope I can finish the challenge on time :smile:

1 Like

I tried but couldn’t seem to make it work. Attaching the file if anyone can get the unique ranking to work.
Unique Rank.pbix (169.8 KB)
Thanks!

@MudassirAli Does this help:

2 Likes

@AntrikshSharma
Wow what kind of a sorcery is this?
It works like a charm

Why Microsoft can’t get the option embedded in RankX function for unique ranks? This could make the life easier.
I need another magic spell for you to cast. Greedy Greedy :smile:
I am looking for the measure/solution that could work with line chart to dynamically show the trend related to the separate categories. For example say the categories are A, B,C & D. Ranking of the categories will change based on different filter selection. A could be #1 rank in Jan but # 2 in Feb, therefore, I want the line chart to show the trend based on rank #2 in Feb.
Page-level filters can be used to dynamically update but this won’t work based on the type of visualization I am looking for.

In simple words, in the Bar Chart, A is at top so I want to show the line chart for A only, B for B, C for C etc.

Thanks a lot again for the solution.