Power BI Challenge 8- First Time Participant Winner

Hi All,

In light of our recent changes to the challenge categories we as a team wanted to retrospectively award the first-time participant award for challenge 8 and recognise some incredible work.

To learn more about the category and the criteria fore entry be sure to check out the post below.

There were some fantastic entries across the board and I encourage you all to take some time out to review the submissions. However the first time participant winner could be non other than @bradsmith an absolutely fantastic entry covering some awesome techniques and demonstrating the art of possible within Power BI. Check out his report below.

Brad has also done an excellent write up and it really is an excellent read thanks for sharing.

I know there are several us in the forum interested in machine learning and advanced statistical analysis so hopefully some great opportunities to collaborate and learn

Not to mention disclosing the neat trick when writing forum posts :wink:.

A really impressive debut @bradsmith really looking forward to seeing more of your work and learning from someone implementing advanced analytics. Welcome to the community and challenge.

Thanks

Haroon

5 Likes

@bradsmith,

Not having seen your work prior to Challenge 8, your report was an unexpected lightning bolt, and the accompanying writeup was equally great. Excellent to see your work get recognized in this way, and hopefully provides an incentive to get others watching and sitting on the fence to jump in and begin participating in the challenges.

I’ll be in touch by DM about getting you your prize. Here’s the thread with your choices:

Newcomer Prize for Data Challenge #6

Congratulations on being the inaugural “First Timer” award winner. :clap: :clap:

• Brian
2 Likes

Congrats @bradsmith … well done :grinning:

2 Likes

@bradsmith Congratulations and really really happy that you won.
Excellent report :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Well, I am a millennial, so you know how much we love our participation awards… Haha but seriously, thank you @haroonali1000! I didn’t think there was a newcomer prize for this challenge so I can honestly say I was not expecting this and have been overwhelmed by the responses to my submission! And thank you @BrianJ, @Greg, and @MudassirAli! You three are some of the most talented Power BI users I have seen and your enthusiasm, and support truly means a lot.

And to anyone who is interested in machine learning and advanced analytics and would like to collaborate, feel free to reach out! I have a passion for machine learning and especially for bringing these types of advanced analytics to a larger audience. Power BI has been one of the best tools I have found that this can be done in a way that both allows the average person to leverage these models in an easy to understand tool without requiring an advanced understanding of data science, machine learning, and statistics, but still allows someone with that understanding to leverage that knowledge, optimize those models, and get the same degree of quality they are used to in other analytics platforms.

7 Likes

@bradsmith,

Thanks! I’ll take you up on that offer right away. I know there are a bunch of us interested in learning more about machine learning techniques and capabilities within Power BI. When you have a chance, would you mind starting a new thread with your recommended resources on this topic for folks who want to develop that skillset?

• Brian
5 Likes

@bradsmith,

Congratulations for the winning awards :1st_place_medal: !!
Your report is fantastic and I like so much, looks very cool and attractive. I really appreciate you brought machine learning to this community. It is nice someone in the participants showed it in an actual way.
Simply amazing!!

Regards,
Hideo

2 Likes

@bradsmith

Superb work Brad.

Can’t wait to see more advanced analysis. You could become our go to expert on the topics!

3 Likes

@bradsmith,

You should have received your copy of SnagIt 2021 from TechSmith via email last night. Please let me know either way just to confirm, either by responding to this post here or via DM.

Thanks, and enjoy!

– Brian

2 Likes

Got it! I’ve been playing around with it and it’s better than I even thought! This is going to be a game changer for designing reports and for training!

3 Likes

@BrianJ Is it true that it’s a one time purchase as it says on their website?

@MudassirAli,

I think that’s only true if you continue to buy the annual service plan (which I do, because I’m such a big fan of this product and want to support the developer). However, it’s such a full-featured, mature product already that I rarely use the new annual features.

• Brian
1 Like