Power BI Challenge 7 - Purchases, Inventory And Sales!

@alexbadiu that’s some high level flattery :smile:

You are right though. The goal is to match our teachers in excellence one day.

1 Like

@BrianJ I will give it a try. Hopefully I will be able to convince the usage of this software to management so they buy one for me :grinning:
For tomorrow’s presentation, I am using my current challenge dashboard for a summarised view and details on the next page.

Let’s see how it goes.

I’m with @BrianJ on this one. $50 sounds a bit much, but once you start to use it, you will wonder what you ever did without it!

Thanks
Jarrett

1 Like

Wow everyone, nice submissions.

So many great ideas being shared.

Sam

4 Likes

@BrianJ I really like screen to gif, and it’s free.

1 Like

@BrianJ Looking forward to it! I really wanted it for my dot tooltip, instead of the three tables. I’m going to try and do it once I see your write up :).

Here is my entry for this challenge. Didn’t have much time to put this together, but put something together today that will suffice. Full writeup will be done in the next couple of days. Just added the Average Days calculations, so if you click on the web link right away it won’t look the same as the picture provided.

Thanks
Jarrett

8 Likes

My completed design…keep it relatively simple this time around

Will create write up later for this.

Sam

12 Likes

@datazoe,

Thanks – I’ll check it out. The quality of some of the free stuff out there is pretty remarkable. I’ve got a video on Enterprise DNA TV coming out in the next couple of days on a program called Just Color Picker that is a phenomenal free tool for managing hex codes, that I’ve found to be a huge timesaver for report development.

– Brian

2 Likes

My presentation consists of a report that reflects in the first instance in two hierarchical diagrams the time elapsed before the goods are received, and the time elapsed before invoicing the goods for purchase orders and materials.
Also, billing is analyzed compared to costs and profits for purchase orders and materials, as well as a comparative graph between received and invoiced tons of materials.
In the same way, five cards were placed, each one illustrating the profits, the contribution of the invoices to the profits, the inventory rotation, the quantities of purchase orders and invoiced material.
All of the above can be filtered by two segmenters of months and customers respectively.

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=0e46ef6c-6f23-447b-9363-4488b448711d&autoAuth=true&ctid=24b5e8a8-97c7-4d0f-ab40-ab0d29a164f1&config=eyJjbHVzdGVyVXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93YWJpLXVzLWVhc3QtYS1wcmltYXJ5LXJlZGlyZWN0LmFuYWx5c2lzLndpbmRvd3MubmV0LyJ9

8 Likes

My Submission for Power BI Challenge -7

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZDI2MWY5ZTQtNDAwYy00NzE5LWFiMTYtZGI3OWE3NTg0NTU3IiwidCI6IjAwOWI1NWJmLWJlMTctNGIzNC1hNjBkLTU0ZTRiMTM4ODQ1MCJ9

Attributions
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com

Icons made by Eucalyp from www.flaticon.com
8 Likes

Is it just me or does that theme really screams “I’m a **** Starboy” ?

1 Like

Dear all

This was a challenge both on building a data model and for some of the measures.

The three fact tables to one inventory fact table.

My goal was to build one table out from three tables. In each of the tree tables there is a date column, which give the information on the day it happens for Purchase, Receiving and billing/invoicing. Unit cost shall be used in Billing table.

• Need a unique key. I chose “PO no | Mat no”
  • To calculate the elapsed time for Purchase => Receiving – need the date for PO from purchase table to be placed in in receiving table.
  • To calculate the elapsed time for Receiving=> Invoicing – need the date for receiving from receiving table to be placed in purchase table.
  • In the billing table there is the unit price for sale. Calculate the profit - need the Unit Cost from purchase table to be placed in table for billing.

In Power Query I use Merge queries.

Ad. 1 In PQ. In all tables created the unique key “PO no | Mat no”.

Ad.2 In PQ took a copy of Purchase table and deleted all columns except Unique key and date for PO. By merges, placed the PO date in receiving tables.

Ad.3 2 In PQ took a copy of receiving table and deleted all columns except Unique key and date for receiving. By merge placed the receiving date in billing table.

Ad.4 In PQ took a copy of Purchase table and deleted all columns except Unique key and Unit Cost. By merges, placed the Unit cost in billing table.

In the Billing table deleted all records which did not received a Unit Cost from Purchase. Why it did not receive a Unit Cost could be, that the Purchase no. is before year 2020. But there was also few which has a young PO no. but it ist’n in the Purchase Table.

Now the three tables Purchase, Receiving, Billing is prepared to be appended in PQ and is named with Inventory Transaction.

Link to Power BI service: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMDg3NDcxZjItM2NlYy00YWRhLWI3MzgtNmUyNjMzZWQyMzFhIiwidCI6ImQ5YTk3YjQ5LWJjMGMtNGY5OS04ZTVmLWUwZDI4MmRmN2Y5NSIsImMiOjl9

Challenge 7- Purchases,Inventory And Sales!.pbix (588.1 KB)

5 Likes

@kirank.gh Great work!
I love the highlighted section:

4 Likes

@AntrikshSharma,

Don’t quite get your reference? You a fan of it or not? No worries either way.

Thanks
Jarrett

No, love, it, I was just referring to the famous song Starboy from The weeknd, it has the similar colors in the video.

1 Like

A question reg. my submission.

If you have two tables and the same Unique key in both tables. Want to move one column from table 1 to table 2 by merge. Use unique key to relate from table 2 to table 1.

The rows in table two have now expanded from 1.277 to 1.332 rows. I would expect it should be the same number of rows and just add the one column I asked for and placed data where there is a relation between the Unique key.

I have investigated and found that some records became double. There must be something I cannot see.

Question. Do anyone have an explanation to why it happens.

@kirank.gh Yes! I agree, this is awesome! The whole thing is really great :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AntrikshSharma,

Must be getting old not to get a reference to a song! Cannot remember last time I saw a music video. They still making them? I used to watch them all the time when I was a kid on MTV.

Thanks
Jarrett

2 Likes

Thanks @MudassirAli !!

1 Like