Power BI Challenge 11 – Covid 19 Reporting

@bradsmith wow wow my friend.You have done something extraordinary here. The analysis, the visuals & the explanation, everything is outclass. Well done & thank you for participating in the challenge. Really amazed to see this type of work being produced here. Excellent.

1 Like

Another great Challenge and more awesome entries…

6 Likes

Whoops… It appears that Azure Maps is not supported. So, I’ve changed the map now. Other than that, a great challenge…

2 Likes

@bradsmith, that is super fascinating. This is my first time coming across this model, so it takes me some time to process it. Nonetheless, it looks by far more robust than a moving average although a moving average is good for providing some quick insight…

You mentioned a nice metaphor around “ingredients”. Using the SIR model is it easy to find the ingredients. I mean, how to group people in each bucket? Perhaps we need to make assumptions about the population? I can understand that it would be easy to know who has/had covid, but how to determine Susceptible? Could this be everyone who has not gotten covid, or would this be a selection of the population that represents high risk?.. Excuse the many questions, but thinking through these questions is quite fun, especially since we can dive a bit deeper into the construction of the measures :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh you don’t have to apologize for asking questions! I love answering these types of questions. For a SIR model, the groups would be defined as:

• Susceptible: The total number of people who have not been infected. Typically everyone starts here until they are either infected, recovered, or immune
  • Infected: The total number of people who have been infected.
  • Recovery (This is also commonly called “Resistant”): The total number of people who no longer can get the virus.would include those who have recovered, died, or are immune.

There are certainly different parameters that’s can be included to make this much more robust and that’s generally where we’d start seeing assumptions. Things like transmission rates, reproduction rate (the number of people an infected person can infect), the recovery rate, are all commonly assumed to be universal regardless of which country/state/county someone is in and there are ways to calculate these as well as published reports by the WHO, CDC, and other health organizations that provide best estimates for these.

The great thing about the model is that you can add more parameters to fine tune the model as more information becomes available and continuously improve on it. That’s when things really start getting complex.

2 Likes

@Alvi,

I really like what you’ve done here. This is a really clean looking, accessible and intuitive dashboard. What I particularly like is the way you’ve normalized the data in multiple ways to make it more directly comparable and meaningful through the use of rates, per capita impacts, and time trends. In particular, I think the active cases weekly trend visual is a home run. My two suggestions for improving it further would be to add the country name to the tooltip and then ideally be able to filter the visual at minimum by positive/negative trend (maybe through the inclusion of a legend) or ideally a slider that lets you filter which countries are visible based on the trend range selected.

I felt this one really met the spirit of the brief in being a true one pager, easily understandable by the layperson, yet providing great insight and depth within the confines of one page. Well done!

• Brian
2 Likes

Thank you @BrianJ for your valuable feedback especially about the legend/slider for the Active cases visual. It would definitely allow ease in viewing and to navigate the map better.

Thanks again!! :+1:

1 Like

All,

I should’ve remembered to offer this earlier, but for any of you having trouble with publish to web, please feel free to email me your PBIX file at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co, and I will be glad to publish it on the eDNA tenant for you and send you back a publish to web link that you can include with your challenge entry and/or writeup. I feel entries “show” better when the user can experience the report with the full navigation/UX working as the developer intended.

• Brian
2 Likes

For those interested, here’s the link to the report on the web service (thanks to @BrianJ for publishing that for me!)

1 Like

Wow Experts crew. Super impressive. Amazing visuals and design.

1 Like

Blown away by some of these submissions.

I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to highlight the talent and skill level going into these submissions.

I think some future mastermind events will be on the cards for some of these.

Nice work everyone.

Sam

2 Likes

incrediable work Alex. As always, You are setting the standards HIGH !

4 Likes

Awesome work, JMAP

3 Likes

Apologies for being late to the party, I decided to send my submission in anyway. I look forward to suggestions as I continue my learning journey. ThanksCovid19Reporting.pbix (1023.3 KB)

3 Likes

@Eze,

Kudos to you for finishing the entry and posting - the main purpose of these challenges is to learn and develop your own skills, and that is unbounded by any schedule or deadline. A few comments on your entry:

I like what you’ve done here – you’ve stuck clearly to the requirements of the brief, made good choices as to the analyses you determined were most important to focus on, didn’t overwhelm the report or the user with too much information/too many visuals, created an intuitive and attractive UX, arranged the report nicely on a gridded layout, and used a good variety of different visual types to tell the story.

A few suggestions that I think would further enhance it:

• for the New Cases by Category and New Cases by Region visuals, put a visual level filter on them so that they don’t display any dates beyond the last data point available
  • perhaps use a more divergent color theme – for the line charts, it’s hard for me to distinguish which region/continent line is which relative to the legend
  • for the map, try to set the default zoom to show the full geographic range of the dataset

Overall, well done. I look forward to seeing more of your work in future challenges.

– Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @BrianJ, much appreciated!

Hi all,

I also worked on this challenge… it was quite challenging for me with a lot of new stuff learned/practiced while developing this dashboard, but I’m satisfied with the end-result.

Here the link of the published report

Please feel free to comment for any improvement. Thanks!

Alexandre

5 Likes

Hi Alex. Great report.

Could you tell me what kind of map you used? I got the .pbix but I still cannot see which one it is

Cheers.

1 Like

Thank you @jtremaria ! I used a shape map. You can find the .json for all the world countries in the POTW #8

best regards

Great! Many thanks