Power BI Accelerator Week #7 is Live!

@JohnG ,

Hmmm…working OK for me too. Try accessing it this way and let me know if you can get to it:

Hit return after entering “@brianj Highlighting a Row” and see if you can access from the search results.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @BrianJ, another awesome accelerator. This was a 100% learning exercise which has taken my limited conditional formatting knowledge to another level.

A massive thanks to @MehdiH for the DAX measures. Without his example I would not have been able to complete this exercise.

Accelerator Week #7 - StevenS.pbix (10.3 MB)

1 Like

No worries, found a work around and used @MehdiH file for guidance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m getting the same, sometimes, then other time it opens fine. I’ve found opening it a new tab seems to work consistently - does that work for you?

All:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I can access the thread, at times, but it’s inconsistent.

Let me figure it out. You all have better means of spending your time.

John G

Nice work Mehdi.
I am curious about your VAR naming - you start them all with an “_” - is this a naming convention or good practice to help a reader understand these in complex calcs (similar to the “@” at the start of temp columns?)

Thanks,
Tim

2 Likes

Thanks Tim.

I found these naming convention watching videos and reading blog posts from MVP and the community around the world.

I use the “_” with DAX variables to find them quickly in the IntelliSense list and of course to differentiate them from other elements in the code.

I use the “@” for the same reason differentiate the column that are added with the ADDCOLUMNS or calculated with SUMMIRIZE(). For me, it’s means that this is not an original column or measure.

I also start my tables name with the ’ also to find them quickly in the IntelliSense drop down list.

Have a nice day
Mehdi

1 Like

Readability and IntelliSence. Very good! I am filing this under Best Practices and will start using it myself. Thanks, and have a Great Day,

Tim

1 Like

Accelerator Week #7 - tboeve.pbix (10.3 MB)
Great Exercise! I borrowed heavily from Mehdi and James work - nothing too original in my solution but I enjoyed working through this.

Thanks,

Tim

3 Likes

Thanks to Medhi’s example, I’ve pretty much completed the exercise.

However, I can’t suppress the text (Hex Code) in the Heat Map legend, and the Global Sales in the white cells of the Heat Map, itself.

I know I should change the font to match the background, and I’ve done so in the past. I can’t figure out how to do it with Conditional Formatting.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Advanced Controls - use the same Field settings for the Background and Font colors.

2 Likes

Accelerator Week #7 - Problem Set Final-ES.pbix (10.3 MB)

Hi @BrianJ

Please find attached my entry and thank you for this opportunity,I have learnt so much
and still learning, I sometimes struggle to keep up.

@MehdiH you are a star :smiley:, I got a lot of inspiration from yours, I learnt how to group Measures into folders, something I found helps to group measures in a very efficient way IMO. Again I learnt new stuff going through your DAX measures , I even use some in mine, really appreciate it and thank you very much.

I struggle with star ratings bit and I am going to put the time in to get round it and I
couldn’t get the Matrix to have the same look as the shown in the Mockup

2 Likes

@Eze ,

You’re making fantastic progress - keep up the great work! Simple trick to apply on matrix heatmaps - just apply the same measure you used to conditionally format the background color to conditional formatting of the font. That’s one of the awesome things about the Field Value approach - you can reuse the exact same code for different purposes, with zero tinkering of the conditional formatting screens required.

Hint for the star rating - check out the REPT function.

• Brian
3 Likes

@paidcritic ,

Nice work - solutions are spot on! Great to have you participating in the Accelerator.

• Brian
1 Like

All,

Really enjoying seeing how you’re all working together in community to attack these problems. A terrific aspect of being part of the eDNA community, and one that will serve you well far beyond your time in the Accelerator program.

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi Eze,

I’m glad my submission inspired you and helped you discover and learn new techniques.

As I mentioned before, the star rating measure was the easiest one to set as I used a quick measure to create it. You can learn from the code that is generated and play with it to get a better understanding of the measure.

• Mehdi
2 Likes

Thanks @BrianJ , much appreciated

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response.

The source of the problem lay in my table that stored the Hex Code colors.

When I created the table I used #FFFFF (5 F’s) instead of #FFFFFF" (6 F’s).

I made the correction, and the problem was resolved.

Thanks, again, for the response.

John Giles

1 Like

Hello Brian:

I submitted my Accelerator 7 exercise about an hour ago, but don’t see that it’s been received.

Have I missed something?

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

@JohnG ,

I’m not seeing it. Did you just post it to this thread in the forum? If so, you may want to try reposting it.

Thanks!

• Brian
1 Like