Power BI Accelerator Week #7 is Live!

Hi Brian:

Here’s my submission for Accelerator 7.

This is my second swing at making my submission. I’d written a detailed narrative in my first attempt which I won’t attempt to duplicate here.

However, I will say that I enjoyed the mini challenges.

Also, I will state that I couldn’t have completed the challenges without swiping DAX and VAR’s from MedhiH for the Best/Worst Games and the Heat Map.

For the Best/Worst Games, I had a problem determining Best/Worst Games. I had the MAXX/MINX, but needed the TOPN statement which MedhiH provided. I was pleased that my approach for this mini challenge matched his otherwise, which was encouraging.

Regarding the Heap/Map, I blocked out an approach, but wandered aimlessly with the implementation, until I lifted his code.

I will say, that I didn’t make my submission until now because I wanted to understand his code before doing so.

Accelerator Week #7 - JohnG.pbix (10.3 MB)

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes

Thank you once again for a useful Accelerator exercise. The toughest part of this one by far for me was the DAX. I borrowed the DAX to filter the first visual by platform/genre and calc the max and min. I’m studying that to make sure I understand it fully.

On the matrix visual, I was able to write my own measures and iterate over a virtual table. That is progress on DAX uses cases for me.

2 Likes

Accelerator Participants,

We’ve been advertising the Accelerator Live Solution session in the “Events” section of the website and in the email newsletters, but @eric_m reminded me that I hadn’t posted it on the forum (thanks, Eric!). If you haven’t registered yet, but would like to attend the session (Wed. 12/1/21 at 5pm ET), just click here to register:

https://enterprisedna.co/power-bi-accelerator-week-7-member-only-december-2021-registration/

@sam.mckay and I hope to see you there!

• Brian
2 Likes

So time has been against me for this accelerator and I spent a lot of time getting the Dax right for the two graphs on the left side. With more time I am sure I could have figured out the right side as well

I have really enjoyed this one. Thanks for another great Accelerator Brian

2 Likes

Hi Brian:

Having observed your just completed session for Accelerator 7, here are a few remarks/questions.

1. Perhaps interest in this topic is limited to a party of one, but can you devote an Accelerator to the selection of graphics that most persons use for the home page of their challenge, preparation of the graphic in PowerPoint, and the selection of compatible colors for the report? It’s something I struggle with.

2. Regarding Heat Maps, why would someone use Gradients when they can use a Hex Code Table as in this Accelerator.

3. This Accelerator gave me a deeper appreciation of SWITCH/TRUE, VAR’s and virtual tables.

4. Back to Heat Maps, perhaps a toggle via button/bookmark between a Heat Map and the underlying Matrix that displays the actual numbers?

5. Are you aware of any video tutorials that discuss SELECTEDVALUE() as you did during the session?

Terrific presentation today. Love the Accelerators.

Regards,

John Giles

3 Likes

@JohnG ,

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear you are finding Accelerator to be so useful.

With regard to your questions and comments:

1. I think we got this one covered in a great course we will have rolling out at the end of December tentatively titled Expert Report Walk-Throughs, where all seven multi-time winners of the Enterprise DNA Data Challenge will present a detailed walk-through of what they have chosen as their best report. Selection of colors, graphics, etc. definitely will be covered extensively in that course.

2. Mainly convenience. Gradient automatically creates the full color range, but you could definitely achieve that same result with only a little more effort using Field Value.

1. Excellent. Those are all absolutely key constructs/concepts necessary to master in order to get the most out of DAX.

2. That’s an excellent idea, and would be easy to achieve with buttons and bookmarks. If you take a look at my recent Bookmark Navigator video from last week, that’s exactly the example I work through.

3. While many of the eDNA videos deal with SELECTEDVALUE as part of a larger lesson, I don’t think we have one that focuses solely on that. However, check out this one from SQL BI which goes pretty in depth on the use of this function:

I hope that’s helpful. Thanks very much for your continued support of and participation in Accelerator.

– Brian

2 Likes

Thanks to all who participated in Round #7 of Accelerator. If you missed tonight’s solution session, it (along with all the supporting files) is available on the portal at:

We will be back next week with Round #8, which will deal with data shaping – a critically important but often underdiscussed component of data modeling.

• Brian
3 Likes

Brian:

As always, thanks for the prompt response.

John Giles

1 Like

Brian,

Here is my submission. Sorry for the delay, occupied with work.

This was more challenging than I expected. The DAX was difficult. I relied on other submissions to understand the concepts and the code. I will be studying this for a while. :slight_smile:

Accelerator Week #7 - Boehnke Final.pbix (10.3 MB)

Another great Accelerator! This has been a great series.

Thanks,
Brad B

2 Likes