Individual value plot (with jitter)

Hello,
Does anyone know of a good/solid visual for an individual value plot.

Must have:

• Jitter. That is, the little dots do not appear in one straight line for each x-axis category.

Nice to have:

• Microsoft certified
  • Free
  • A bit prettier than the below

Here is an example of what I am looking for (functionally).

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

@michellepace,

If R visuals are an option, there is an R package called beeswarm that I think creates attractive versions of the type of plot you’re looking for, and meets all your other criteria. Below are just some examples of the types of customization you can do with it.

http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/~eklund/beeswarm/

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian

P.S. another option is Charticulator, about which I know very little, but @MudassirAli and @datazoe would be good sources on the viability of that option here.

@michellepace
There are 2 options to meet your goal.

One is to design your custom visual in Charticulator.

Second is to use the custom visual called SanDance.

Good thing is that both are Microsoft certified.
Let us know if you need more help.

Thanks.

@MudassirAli,

Have you been able to generate good looking visuals with SandDance? I tried it for Challenge #6 and was really disappointed in the results, but that may have been more the limitations of the user than the visual itself…

• Brian

@BrianJ
Yes I tried but with challenge 6 data, I wasn’t able to produce good looking insights and visuals from SandDance apart from the scatter plot graph which was more or less the same as the native scatter chart visual. I tried other data from my workplace and the visuals were awesome. I guess it’s more about the distribution of data that affects the visuals. However, I tried challenge 6 dataset with ARCGIS maps for spatial analysis and I am just in awe of the insights it produces. Must try for everyone.

Hi @BrianJ and @MudassirAli , thanks very much for your replies.

Brian, I’m still looking for something with less of a “pattern” look and more of jitter like the below.

Mudassi - I have not heard pf either Charticulator or SanDance. Do you have perhaps have an example from either which is closer to the below?

@michellepace,

Just FYI -The out-of-the-box ggplot2 package (the core R visualization library) will do the standard jitter you’re looking for, with lots of options to customize:

I just highlighted the beeswarm package because I thought it looked cooler than the standard jitter, and thought from your post you were looking for something a little more “catchy”.

Not pushing R particularly – Charticulator and possibly Sand Dance may be good options too, but wanted to let you know this is definitely a standard visual within R.

Hope this is helpful.

• Brian
2 Likes

@michellepace
If you have the sample dataset I can create a visual for you. Moreover, you can add SandDance from the market place and play with it yourself too.

@MudassirAli

Thanks, good to know. I threw SandDance on the junk pile after Challenge #6, but I’ll give it a go with a different dataset.

• Brian
1 Like

R and ggplot2: Goodness Brian, I’ve never actually used R in PowerBi. But now that I want to look into control charts too… it looks like I’m going to have to take the plunge. If anyone else is interested, I found create power bi visuals using R and box and scatter plot with ggplot2. Its lovely:

Sundance: Thanks Mudassir that would be great - I’ll randomise my data and upload it tomorrow! I played a little with the online app version. All I can say is go second class and be female!!

Actually, this shows it in an even more obvious manner. Second class. Would have known! haha

2 Likes

@michellepace,

These two posts provide great resources (a comprehensive tutorial and an awesome cheat sheet) if you’re going to take the plunge into using ggplot2. Once you get the hang of it, it’s really a pretty simple “fill in the blanks” exercise:

• Brian

P.S. I dig your chart annotation. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @michellepace, please don’t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ‘solved’.

@michellepace you can use this blog . it may help you acheive your requirement .

A response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to try all solutions this weekend and will post back with the one which worked the best for me.

@michellepace,

Jitterplot Showdown! I would most definitely watch that show…

sideeye

Eager to see which comes out on top.

• Brian
1 Like

@michellepace
While working on a recent EnterpriseDNA challenge, I came across a custom visual called Dot Plot by MAQ Software which has a jitter effect option in format pane. You just have to go and turn it on for the Jitter Effect.

Enjoy!!

2 Likes

@michellepace,

So, what was the outcome of the Jitterplot Showdown?

• Brian

Better late than never, my visualisation is due 11th January. So no more procrastinating on jumping into unfamiliar waters (namely R / python)! I’ve chosen this histogram chart from the (power bi supported) Plotly library for R. I’m visualising scrap rates - - at the movement we just report on scrap rates as one big monthly (weighted) average. So this will add a lot insight, update to follow…

3 Likes