Power BI Challenge 7 - Purchases, Inventory And Sales Entry from Zoe

Lol…yes I did make that. I had plans to do this for challenge 6 but couldn’t make it work but I kept trying and now finally did it. Charticulator is the beast I must say.

2 Likes

@MudassirAli that is awesome! Now I’m going to have to figure it out haha.

1 Like

@MudassirAli,

That is incredibly cool. What does the filtering look like when you click on a particular state?

How long did it take you to build this in Charticulator?

– Brian

@BrianJ,
I have just started to learn Charticulator in detail so it took me a lot of time to figure this visual out. However, when you know how to design visuals in Charticulator, it wouldn’t take more than 15 to 20 minutes to design this type of visual. Frankly speaking, I am beginning to like this tool a lot.

When State is selected the visual looks like this:

When sliced by Region, it looks cooler:

I will try to use my own designed visuals in the next challenge. I have been searching around some epic R Script visuals but unable to implement them and I think this tool will help me in designing some of the visuals I have been looking for.

2 Likes

@MudassirAli,

I’m curious as to the problems you’ve having creating graphics in R. Are you using the ggplot2 package?

My experience is that once you understand R’s “grammar of graphics”, each visual becomes the same basic “fill in the blanks” exercise.

Have you seen this epic cheat sheet?

https://rstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ggplot2-cheatsheet-2.1.pdf

• Brian
3 Likes

@BrianJ,

The cheat sheet is amazing.

That’s the problem, I was trying to get the visuals to work without prior knowledge of R’s grammar of graphics. In particular I was trying to implement this visual found in the following website:

Now slowly starting to learn R but was just struggling to find the starting point.

1 Like

@MudassirAli,

Yeah, diving in without understanding the ggplot2 conventions would be extremely frustrating. The good news is that the structure is pretty easy to learn (at least the basics, and then you can just Google and/or cheat sheet the rest), and once you do you can apply the exact same techniques to every visual you create.

Two big tips:

Make sure you’re using R Studio - it’s a fantastic IDE and for plotting you can continually test your code in the plot window.

Check out the tutorial below. It’s part one of a great three part series on understanding ggplot2, with a ton of visual examples. Once you walk through this tutorial, you should have almost everything you need to create nearly any visual you can imagine. There’s also a short tutorial and a quick ref guide linked to the same page.

I hope this is helpful. Give a shout if you have any problems – happy to help.

• Brian

http://r-statistics.co/Complete-Ggplot2-Tutorial-Part1-With-R-Code.html

2 Likes

@BrianJ that’s a great cheatsheet! I’ve only used R when I wanted to add stuff in like Margin of Error for survey results. I found R visuals to be slow and less dynamic so I kind of avoid them. Charticulator does not have these drawbacks.

@datazoe,

Thanks – that’s great info. I haven’t had a problem with the R visuals being dynamic, but I have noticed in some cases they are a bit laggy in rendering. Will definitely take another look at Charticulator…

• Brian

@datazoe

I just found the video on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/mxtwyW7epwI
Happy Charticulating!!!

2 Likes

@MudassirAli oh that’s awesome! I made this thing last week too:

Just trying to figure out how to do some conditional formatting.

2 Likes

@datazoe
That’s great!
I think it would be easier to look at if the graph only shows top 20 and bottom 20 values.
Moreover, for the conditional formatting, did you try to use pallette colors in Charticulator?
I will try it myself too

1 Like

@MudassirAli I did it!!

4 Likes

@datazoe
Amazing!!
This will be my go-to visual when comparing data.

1 Like

@datazoe

You can click on the symbol and drop the measure Avg time spent in store in the fill section and then can select the colors of your choice for conditional formatting. It looks clearer after conditional formatting:

2 Likes

@MudassirAli That is fantastic!!! Great job!

I actually used Powerbi.tips version when I watched the video too, but that’s when I realized actual charticulator is the updated one and has many more options. The video was still amazing because it walked me through how to use the options.

1 Like

@MudassirAli I was trying an approach to only highlight the good and the bad, so I went with this:

Not sure if I went too far by making the other bubbles pretty much impossible to read, but I like how it really puts them in the background.

3 Likes

@datazoe wow. This approach is the best in terms of highlighting the best and worst performing areas. For example, I immediately noticed the store in Indiana taking the highest time. I don’t know why but I am beginning to dislike the native visuals in power bi after looking at the ones in tableau whose visuals are very flexible and can even handle multiple axes. On YouTube, there aren’t much videos depicting stunning visuals generated in Power Bi platform unlike Tableau.
I hope Microsoft upgrade the performance and flexibility of the visuals soon.

1 Like

@datazoe,

Amazing job on this visual. It conveys an enormous amount of information in a really attractive, clear way.

If you’re considering adding more videos to your website, a walkthrough of how you put this together would be incredibly instructive. :smile:

I was just watching @sam.mckay’s new video on the Analyst Hub capabilities. He talks about using it to share things like DAX and M code, and color themes, but it would also be really cool if we could collectively begin to build shared libraries of custom visuals created in Charticulator, R and Python.

Love what you and @MudassirAli are doing with Charticulator. Thanks to both of you for sharing your creativity and learning with the rest of us. :+1:

• Brian
1 Like

Thanks @BrianJ. Yes, you are right, we can look into the possibility of creating custom made visuals and can add in the analyst hub library.
I also created another visual in response to a query on the forum.

It’s a simple line chart but annotations like above aren’t easily achievable with native visuals.

2 Likes