Connecting from desktop Excel to dataset in Power BI Pro Service

Hello Members of Enterprise DNA Forum:
Appreciate in advance if somebody can help me answer my following questions:

1. Previously from the desktop Excel workbook I could click on ‘Power BI’ option in the Excel ribbon and be able to connect to my datasets in my Power BI Service without any issues. However, very recently, I get the following error message: “AADSTS500113: No reply address is registered for the application”. Contacted the Microsoft Support (Mindtree) and after many back and forth they informed me that this particular functionality has be discontinued by Microsoft, specifically something called ‘Power BI Publisher For Excel’.
    Is this correct? Can any of the Enterprise DNA forum members confirm this please?

2. If the above is true is there another workaround for me to connect to Power BI Pro Service datasets from my desktop Excel?

Thanking in advance for your help.
Best regards
Adi K. Asavaid

@Adi

Go to PBI service and download Analyze in Excel updates, if already not downloaded.

Install the package:

Go to Workspace > Report > Analyze in Excel:

Open Excel > Enable content > sign in:

Build a report:

2 Likes

Hello Antriksh:
Thank you very much for your response and so prompt.
I will try this and let you know.
Once again thanks for your help.
Best regards…Adi

Hello Antriksh:
This is Adi again. Antriksh, what you mentioned works BUT that is not what I was looking for. I want to start Excel on my desktop and then I want to connect to ProService and then select the dataset in Power BI Pro Service to connect.
I want to connect to Power BI Pro Service via my desktop Excel and not the other way around.
Can you please help.
Thanks and best regards…Adi

Hi @Adi,

I found this on the community site for power bi that you might want to read;

Thanks
Keith

Hello Keith:
Many thanks for the follow-up to the questions and the confirmation of the Power BI Publisher for Excel is Retired. Will have to find the workarounds.
Best regards…Adi

Hi @Adi ,
Good luck with that. There was couple of suggestions in the posting. I believe one of them was @AntrikshSharma suggestion in the Microsoft PI Community posting. I’m not sure if you saw it.

Once you find a solution, please post your findings so others know.

Thanks
Keith

Hi @Adi, did the response provided by @Keith and @AntrikshSharma help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hello @AntrikshSharma, @Keith and EnterpriseDNA forum members:
No, I have not forgotten to update the team if I had a solution to this issue.
I am still in the process of investigating it.
I have uploaded a document here with screenshots and showing the progress to date.
I will continue investigation on this and keep all posted.
Any additional help from anyone would be very welcome,
Excel_Connect_To_PowerBI-Option_20210811.docx (265.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hello @AntrikshSharma, @Keith and EnterpriseDNA forum members:
As I had mentioned in my last post that I would inform all if I found a solution to alternative for ‘Power BI Publisher for Excel’ which has been discontinued. The alternative now is to use the Excel version which is supplied ONLY with the following Outlook versions: Office 365E5 or Microsoft 365 E5. In both the cases it is the E5 version that has the functionality. I have uploaded a Microsoft document which mentions the versions needed. Also uploaded a screen shot showing that it is working. Note I have tested this only with Office 365E5 version and not with Microsoft 365E5.
I think we can consider this item CLOSED for now.
Adi K. Asavaid

Modern Work Plan Comparison - Enterprise US ERP.pdf (478.5 KB)
ConnectingExcelToPowerBI_NewExample.docx (129.4 KB)

3 Likes

Hi @Adi
thanks for the update.
Don’t forget to mark the posting solved.

thanks
Keith