Can we change the logo and theme in the same power BI report based on parameters?

Hi Experts,

Can we dynamically change the company logo and customized theme based on the parameters passed through in a single Power BI report and export into different pdf formats ?

Cheers,
TS

I don’t believe it can be done through parameters, but have you considered adding the image to a table?

Theme is handled with a json file, so I don’t think that is possible, yet.

Hi @tej, did the response provided by @Heather help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

@tej,

@Heather is spot on, but in both cases you do have some additional options.

For the logo, you can manage this is as an image URL as Heather suggests. You likely will need an image hosting service to hold your logo icons, but there are many good free ones. My writeup for Data Challenge #7 and the accompanying video walk through this in detail.

Another option is to convert your logo to base64 format, in which case it can be held as a field value within Power BI without having to go out to the Internet. The one thing you have to watch for here is images can quickly exceed the single cell capacity within Power Query. That’s why I like this particular base64 converter, because it has a good compression algorithm that often keeps reasonable size files under the 32,766 character limit (for larger images, there is a way to cheat around this limit by stitching multiple columns values together using DAX).

For the themes, Heather is right that you can’t dynamically switch JSON themes in Power BI. Yet, like many things you can’t technically do in PBI , you can create a pseudo-version that mimics that functionality. In this case what you could do is have a button linked to page navigation action that switches you between two pages with different backgrounds, color schemes, font choices, logos, etc. It wouldn’t technically be different “themes” but to the user it would have the same effect.

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Setting Background Color Based on Dynamic RGB Values

Hi Heather,

Thank you so much for your great response. I am able to change the icons using URL’s, but my current issue is I have a single business unit with 6 sub divisions. These divisions have their own logo, background colors and font. I have a scenario to pass the division name as input parameter and it needs to display the logo along with the theme(different color and font). Kindly let me know how can we achieve this ?

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Tej

@andrew0101,

This is an interesting question, and I’ve worked up what I think is a pretty cool solution, but to avoid cross-talking over @tej’s question, I’ve moved your question to a new thread.

Thanks.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @tej, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 15th of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi,

I am still waiting for the solution. Please let me know the better solution.

Cheers,
TS

Hi @tej

I believe Solutions are already provided by Brian and Heather. Power BI doesn’t support any option to change theme/Background color dynamically. For showing different Background color and Font, will require to create separate snapshots using Bookmarks and enable/disable them based on selection.

Can refer to below post by Brian as reference

Thanks
Ankit J

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your valuable responses. It’s really helpful.

Cheers,
TS

Hi @Tej

Welcome. Request to please mark Heather/Brian response as Solution and close this task.

Thanks
Ankit J

1 Like

Hi @Tej, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @Tej, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 23rd of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @Tej, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!