Calculation Groups- Coming Summer 2020

All,

Just saw a video from Christian Wade where he announced Calculation Groups will be coming to Power Bi Pro in the summer of 2020. Here is a link to the video. He talks about this functionality from minute 33-47 of the webinar if you wish to fast forward to that section.

Thanks
Jarrett

3 Likes

Indeed. :slight_smile:
calc-groups-pbi

Also, in the “Definitive Guide to DAX, Second Edition”, all of chapter 9 is dedicated to a step-wise, deep dive explanation of exactly how calculation groups work and best practices for using them.

• Brian

A post was split to a new topic: Power BI Book Recommendations

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Power BI Book Recommendations

Just saw this, released with the July 2020 release!

1 Like

@marcster_uk,

This was me this morning, when I woke up, read your post and saw that we got External Tools AND Calculation Groups in the July 2020 release:

christmas present

• Brian

Hi @BrianJ,

Indeed! YEY!
Wonder how long it’ll be before someone creates a sample of Calculation Groups to post ?..

@marcster_uk,

I’m in right now starting to play around with it! I have the SQL Mastering DAX Class through them, and there is about 90min of content on how to use it. Won’t be long before I have something in the mix!

Thanks
Jarrett

1 Like

@JarrettM,

Awesome! When I saw @marcster_uk’s post this morning, I literally thought of taking the day off and doing this, but I’ve got a few important meetings I can’t skip. :frowning_face:

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

• Brian

Whoa - check this out!

This is the version of Tabular Editor that was just released this week. We finally now have a real development environment. I’m sure there are tons of other treasures buried here, but these are just a few things I found right off the bat:

1. you can now easily duplicate measures with a single command
  2. you can trace your measure branching structures just by hitting F3 or selecting “Show dependencies”
  3. DAX Formatter is built right into the editor - absolutely no excuse to ever have unformatted DAX again
  4. if you highlight a function in your measure and click this icon, it will take you to the DAX Guide documentation for that function

Just click Save and all your edits, new/duplicated measures, etc. are saved directly back to your PBI file - no more copying back and forth.

• Brian
3 Likes

Here is link to blog from SQLBI regarding Calculation Groups today:

Thanks
Jarrett

Has anyone created a calculation group and uploaded it to the service?.
Just wanted to know if this works in the service in Pro as well as Premium.