Thread: Tabular Editor

@Heather, @marcster_uk, et al.,

Thanks to @JarrettM for sending me this. Pretty strong indication that Microsoft has fixed the metadata format bugs discussed above:

• Brian
2 Likes

Here is a nice source that I picked up today on Tabular Editor.

Enjoy
Jarrett

1 Like

@BrianJ okay - Iā€™m sold, I have now turned on the ā€œStore dataset using enhanced metadata formatā€ option, and used Tabular Editor to save me at least half a day (if not more) worth of work.

The other day we had a power outage while i was working on a new model, and PowerBi shut down on me without giving me time to save anything. I wasnā€™t too worried, normally Iā€™m able to restart the program and work from the retrieved copy that wasnā€™t saved. But this time, something happened to muck up the data model - and I could not get the data to refresh (kept erroring out in different ways).

So, I opened the last saved version, which had the data model correct, but none of my measures. Then I found a blog post from ExceleratorBI (there are probably dozens of others), talking about copying measures from one model to another using Tabular editor launched in the desktop.

Iā€™m a believer now - just need to learn more that I can do with Tabular.
58 measures copied in less than 5 minutes, even the display folders I was using!

3 Likes

@Heather,

Thatā€™s awesome ā€“ I saw that article from Matt Allington yesterday, but hadnā€™t tried it yet. I am totally sold on Tabular Editor but I do miss IntelliSense. According to Daniel, heā€™s working on incorporating that now and itā€™s the second item listed on his development roadmap:

-Brian

1 Like

Tabular Editor Version 3ā€¦ itā€™s coming, with new featuresā€¦

1 Like

Tabular Editor 3 is not yet released, but you can sign up for the preview

Tabular Editor 3 will be a commercial product

https://tabulareditor.com/

This is what I wrote back in July 2020 after the External Tools menu was introduced and I started playing with Tabular Editor. Well, likely within the next few weeks as Tabular Editor 3 becomes publicly available, Iā€™m happy to report that the bus now goes all the way to utopia. This is the DAX development environment weā€™ve all been waiting for, and much more. Not only is Intellisense now included, itā€™s a much better implementation of it than in PBI. Hereā€™s my detailed preview of TE3, based on 3+ months of beta testing. And pairing it with Analyst Hub makes both tools even stronger. As I say in the video preview below, one day soon we are going to wake up and find that Power BIā€™s worst feature (the nearly featureless DAX editing environment) has suddenly become its bestā€¦

And here is a very interesting article today from SQLBi about the importance of external tools in the current Power BI development environment:

• Brian
1 Like

All,

Big news for TE fans - Microsoft releases v 1.1 of Best Practices Analyzer rule set.

Link to rule set JSON file and C# loading script:

• Brian
1 Like

All,

For those of you who have switched over to Tabular Editor 3 (and I highly recommend every intermediate and advanced Power BI user give it a free 30 day trial at tabulareditor.com. Note: I have no affiliation with Tabular Editor, I just think itā€™s awesome), here are some useful learning resources:

In addition, our own version of the Definitive Guide to DAX, @AntrikshSharma , will be developing an in-depth portal course on TE3 targeted for later this Summer.

Finally, @alexbadiu and I have been posting useful C# scripts for TE3 to the Analyst Hub (just search ā€œTabularā€ to find). My video above on TE3 scripting shows you how to make use of these script snippets.

Others, please add to this thread as you find additional useful training resources.

Thanks.

• Brian
3 Likes

TE3 Fans,

In my video above on scripting, Iā€™m kicking myself that I forgot to show you one of the most useful TE3 scripts.

If you load the code below into a new TE3 script, with three clicks you can automatically format every single measure in your report (!!!). Iā€™ve done it in reports with over 100 measures and itā€™s still nearly instantaneous.

No reason now to ever look at another unformatted DAX measure. :smiley:

• Brian
2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: BPA IN Tabular Editor

Hi,
Thanks for the video. It is very helpful. I am having an issue with formatting:

Format String Expression is not working when I try to set it. Showing me the following error.
Formatstringpercent

So, instead I added FORMAT() function in the calculation item code to make it work. Is there a way to resolve this issue.

i think i would delete this posting has you created a new posting for it.

thanks
Keith

Ya sure Keith. I created a new post.