Templates, formatting % & numbers, Inscope levels

Hi Folks, looking for some training resources or anything relevent regarding formatting when using templates to overcome % and number values in same column, formatting numbers with brackets, formatting negative numbers as red and when using a matrix using inscope to only show one line for Gross Margin % etc. when i drill through the layers. I create a lot of finance reports with templates and create measures which have a mix of % and numbers in the same column and i also have to format negative numbers red. There must be a more dynamic way to do this rather than they way I am, some of my measures are absolutely huge in length so i can format % and numbers correctly, identify what is inscope so on a matrix i only show one level for Gross Margin % or EBITDA % etc and then i have to duplicate the measures so i can remove formatting to use with conditional formatting to make negatives red, there must be a more dynamic and simple way to do this, any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi @BCS

Would the methodology explained by Mudassir Ali brings you any further ? Not to forget the others in this post, Heather, Brian and bradsmith

1 Like

Yea that is kind of helpful thanks. I’m more trying to find a way to handle eveything within an excel template as this seems the most practical and dynamic way too handle and too make changes, the following things on the template upload for a P&L or Balance sheet for example,:

Row order blank issue - most templates have blanks and this is a pain when trying to sort by columns
Highlighting total lines - highlight the Gross Margin and EBITDA lines a different colour to stand out
Formatting % and numbers in one column
Actual format structure e.g. #,##0;(#,##0);
Value colours when negative without having to duplicate all my measures
Inscope or not for matrix to avoid double lines of the same value above when drilling through the layers.

I can do all of these but my methods all seem disjointed as i said in my original post i’m handling these within all my individual measures e.g. using selectedvalue and inscope a lot and then duplicating my measures for formatting font red when negative as i have to remove the forced formatting for % and numbers for conditional formatting. There must be a better way to tie all of this together but i have just never found the complete solution yet for what drives finance people like myself nuts.

I came accross the attached template and PBIX online but i’m not entirely sure how they are doing some of it as they did not actually go over the process on the youtube post. One thing they don’t handle is % and numbers in same column, they actually made a seperate table with the %'s at the bottom but most of the time this is not practical Margin % and EBITDA % usually has to be within the same table as end users are used to seeing these values on certain lines and not at the bottom.

If anyone at EDNA is struggling for video content please make a video to tie this all together in a dynamic as that would be amazing!

Thanks

Data Inputs Balance Sheet Session.xlsx (1.0 MB)
Balance Sheet.pbix (518.1 KB)

Hi @BCS! Thank you for the very detailed explanation you gave the users and experts for your problem.

We noticed that your inquiry was left unsolved for quite some time now. We strive to answer ALL inquiries in the forum.

However, if you are sure that you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, you can check out tutorials to learn this yourself as your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done.

Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum.

Thank you!