Setting up learning Path

Hi Team,

I am pretty poor in setting up visualizations without a particular problem statement at hand. I mean to say I don’t know what narrative to set, what information to highlight, what kind of trends to showcase etc.

As described in my last thread, my data is extracted from forms and thanks to the incredible team I was able to get the required model. I am now absolutely clueless on how to proceed.

Here is what I am currently doing. I have taken up Mastering DAX Calculations course. As and when I am seeing something interesting, like say MoM differences/ QoQ etc, I am incorporating it. I understand there is a learning guide which is what I am starting but what I am actually looking for is a course that can give topics on what to questions to ask with data, how to engage with stakeholders to understand their needs, what visuals to use to capture various scenarios etc.

I am sitting on large dataset but just not able to translate it into a meaningful dashboard or outcome.

Can someone help me what’s the best way to learn this? Any links/tips would be highly appreciated.

@vkarthik21,

Excellent question . There’s a ton of great information and coursework on the Enterprise DNA portal site, but sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start. Toward that end, Sam and I are currently working on a dynamic learning map built in Power BI (what else?…) that will help guide you and other members through development of an individualized learning plan.

In the meantime, I would offer the following recommendations:

1. Have you taken the Data Transformations and Data Modeling course? While not directly visualization oriented, I think this is perhaps the most important course in the portal for everyone to take early in their learning plan. If you don’t have your data prepped well and modeled correctly for the analyses you want to do, both the DAX and visualization phases are going to be far more difficult than if you have your data well cleaned, and properly shaped and modeled.

2. I think one of the best resources for learning how to build an effective report from a visualization standpoint are the reports developed by the participants in the monthly Enterprise DNA Data Challenges. These challenges simulate real-world situations, in which you are given an objective and a data set and have to build a full report experience from that, including deciding what types of analyses to do, what types of visuals to use and what sort of user experience you want to create with your report. Along with their submissions, many participants write detailed reports explaining not only how they created their entries, but their overall thought process in conceptualizing their report from start to finish. These are truly master classes in report development from some of the best report designers in the world. The Enterprise DNA Expert Team, in particular typically submit extensive reports that I think you’ll find very valuable. While each report addresses a number of different pillars/topics, some of the areas of emphasis among the experts are as follows:

@alexbadiu - creating a clear, unified narrative through the entire report (data storytelling) and user experience, visual creativity
@MudassirAli - beautiful reports, that make incredibly creative use of both native and custom visuals
@greg - use of a wide variety of visual and navigational techniques integrated together to create a seamless user experience
@JarrettM - development and implementation of an end-to-end, replicable process for creating outstanding reports (he also did a recent portal course on this that I would highly recommend called Mastering Report Development Start to Finish)
@datazoe - development of simple looking reports that actually contain a great depth of analysis and visualization, including masterful use of tooltips and drill downs
@BrianJ – typically focused heavily on analytics/statistics, data modeling and use of unusual custom visualizations
@bradsmith - advanced analytics including machine learning, also some very interesting visualization approaches
@Melissa -she doesn’t enter frequently, but her submission and report on challenge #5 is an absolute masterpiece.

Others who participate frequently and submit very high quality entries and detailed reports are @jbressan, @Alvi, @Hideo, @Neba (I’m sure I’m missing others…)

The Challenge Showcase gives you the opportunity to download the PBIX files for any and all of these reports, see how they are constructed, and even use them as starting templates for your own reports. If you really want to improve your report development skills, there is absolutely no better way to do it than by participating yourself, learning from the other submissions and getting constructive feedback on your own entry.

In terms of other courses in the portal, I would recommend Dashboarding and Data Visualization Intensive, in which @sam.mckay walks through in detail a number of his complex reports and hits on a wide variety of issues related to report development.

There are definitely others I can point you toward, but I think these would be your most productive places to start.

I hope this is helpful. Please give a shout if you have any additional questions, and let me know what you think after you’ve gone through some of these materials – always looking for feedback.

– Brian

5 Likes

Thank you @BrianJ as always for this wonderful reply. I eagerly look forward to the customized learning path.

I will take the Data Transformations and Data Modelling and then go with the Data Challenges report submissions.