Schedule refresh is unable

hi @pedroccamara, since you have multiple source the possibilities are the following:

1. Follow @Rajesh instruction to check your gateway connection. It should show which source have the problem
  2. Another possibility is that the other server that you try to connect to is not able to reach the gateway. This can be caused by another problem. Let say the other source is Oracle database then it could be on the gateway server, there’s no Oracle client installed, or no TNSNAME.

Hello @Rajesh and many thanks for your help. I believe i did the first step and my question is where and how do i do the assign configured source?
Thanks a lot

Hi @pedroccamara

Expand Gateway connection… and map the source

Capture

Hey @Rajesh
I don’t think i’m doing it correctly although there’s no other way (my guess) of doing it

and then…

Can’t apply…
Gateway installed…
Capture03
no big deal…next, next, next, yes…

Hi @pedroccamara. I haven’t been in your exact situation, so take this as just a thought: I don’t think OneDrive files get accessed via a gateway … I think there’s a separate option when choosing a data source for OneDrive sources. I’d create a small test PBIX and try to see if you can get the same .xlsx file using a OneDrive source…
Greg

ok. How do you think i could delete them both? Because i didn’t add them to the gateway…

No idea (… outside my experience …) I’ll let others share their thoughts … sorry.
Greg

Hi @pedroccamara

Do you need excel data in report ? if not remove excel data from report and publish again

If you need…here you are using local one drive path…change the source from local to Onedrive cloud path(Web)

For cloud sources we don’t need gateway…

Step 1 - Open Power BI desktop
Step 2 - Change excel path to Cloud one drive(Web path)
Step 3 - Republish the Power BI file to service

Hello @pedroccamara,

I absolutely agree with the @Greg you don’t need to set up the Gateway connection if your files are in OneDrive. And that’s why I had provided the link above of the Microsoft documentation. And secondly, if your files are in OneDrive then in all of the above images that you’ve provided “Data Source Credentials” option is not activated. I’m provided a link of a video which explains how you can achieve this without setting it up the Gateway connection.

Although the topic of the video is about " Change Excel Source in Power BI to OneDrive for Business No Gateway Needed" but this will be very much applicable in your scenario if your files are in OneDrive or if you want to change the location to the OneDrive.

And lastly, I sincerely recommend you to go through the section of the documentation which I’ve already mentioned above.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

Hello @pedroccamara,

I’m also providing a link below where how this problem was solved last time when you confirmed that your files were in the OneDrive. You can also go through this link for the reference since it also contains the links of the documentations as well as of the videos provided.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

Hi @Harsh

Here the sources are both One drive and SQL Server

He must and should configure gateway for SQL Server.

The problem here is for One drive source he is using local path( desktop path)
He needs to change this local path to Web path

The above video explains the same how to change local one drive path to Web path

Capture

1 Like

Hello @Rajesh,

And that’s what myself and @Greg has said. For the files that are in the OneDrive section there’s no Gateway required. In the above screenshot, he is trying to set up the connection for the OneDrive also under the Gateway section.

For OneDrive he just need to follow the steps as provided in the video and he will be able to set up the refresh options since he has already set up SQL Server under the Gateway option and the second main concern is as he has confirmed in the Post No. 4 that the file are in the OneDrive he just need to enter the appropriate credentials under the “Data Source Credentials” option as suggested in the video which is not activated right now in his case.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

guys, nothing is working…i mean, i saw the video and did exactly what Raza suggested, and after changing the source in power query, it says “Access to the resource is forbidden”.
Did it happened to any of you?

Hello @pedroccamara,

I’m providing some of the links of the blogposts which addresses this type of issue.

Hoping this links helps you in solving the issue that you’re facing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b6fb7dbb-9a13-40cd-8cef-9e97937cb1d7/quotaccess-to-the-resource-is-forbiddenquot-while-connecting-sharepoint-to-power-bi

1 Like

Hi @pedroccamara, did the response provided by the contributors help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get, and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Hi @Harsh
You guys knows a lot!!! Finally it’s working. The second link you’ve send me it help me.
Let me tell you what i’ve done, in my case:
Data source settings - Edit permissions - delete credentials - Choose organizational account - login with my account and…that’s it.
Saved the report and publish.
Goto settings of that dataset and still that connection to share point with an “X” on it. I just change it to organizational and entered with my account

I believe it’s all good. I know that i don’t need to configure a gateway for those excel files and don’t know why they’re here. What do you think?

Hello @pedroccamara,

I’m glad that I was able to help you and really happy for you mate that you were able to achieve the result that you were looking for after all the efforts that you’ve put in. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for providing the steps that you took to overcome this problem. It will definitely assist to our other members as well in the future. :+1:

Lastly before I sign off, here’s my point of view on the query that you’ve asked.

Thumb Rule: If the data source is On-Premises i.e. SQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. always set up the “Gateway” connection whereas on the other hand if the data source is Cloud based i.e OneDrive, Sharepoint, Google Drive, etc. absolutely no requirement to set up Gateway connection.

Since you’ve two data sources i.e. On-Premises (SQL Server) as well as Cloud storage (OneDrive). For On-premises data, the Gateway connection is able to recognize the data sources but for Cloud it’s not able to and therefore it’s showing as “X” and “Optional - Add to Gateway” option.

You can try to set up the connection but be cautious while performing the connection otherwise you might to prompted/forced to perform these steps again.

If were to say, just let those connections as it is. They’ll never affect your settings or the performance of the reports/dashboards because if in case, in future whenever you change the source within the Cloud you’ll just required to perform the steps that are connected with the OneDrive/Cloud and will never be required to make any changes into the Gateway unless your SQL source also changes.

As I always like to say and follow, “Just Keep The Things Simple and Basic.

I hope you this explanation useful.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

Awesome!
Thank you so much @Harsh for all your efforts and advises. Great help!
Pedro

1 Like

Hello @pedroccamara,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

I created a report with 2 data links (one salesforce and one teams) and can refresh it on the desktop Power BI easily. But when i publish the report and try to schedule the refresh, I get the message: Your data source can’t be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again. And if i try to edit credentials no reaction there if i choose any category. Do you know how to fix that?