Automatically update dataset

Hi everyone,
I would like to learn how to update my dataset automatically, i mean, setting this one time a day or 2 or 3 times a day.
What do i have to learn?
Thank you all
Pedro

Hello @pedroccamara,

Thank You for posting the query onto the Forum.

I’m providing a link of an article as well as of an video which is explained by Adam on how you can refresh your dataset automatically.

You can just follow this steps along and can apply it.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you to achieve the result that you’re looking for.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Article - How to configure Power BI report scheduled refresh

Video - Use Microsoft Flow, and other options, to refresh your Power BI dataset

HI @pedroccamara,

You can have a look at this video from Guy in a Cube which shows how to referesh data.

Also attached is the link to the Microsoft document. Scroll down and see the section on Data Refresh and the Different Storage Modes.

Link to Document

Link to Video

And incase you want the users to have an option to refresh the data, you can have a look at this video.

Link to the video

Regards,
Harsh Nathani

Guys,
Thanks for your answer but i can’t schedule a refresh

Capture2
Any idea why?

Hello @pedroccamara,

Is you data source SQL?

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

it’s not.
Mostly csv and xlsx

Hello @pedroccamara,

Since most of your data is in CSV or Excel file. I’m providing a link below based on that.

Hoping this meets your requirement.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Article Link - Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

Yes @Harsh i have all the data sources and pbi files on one drive.
I think this article means that i don’t need to anything but to press the refresh button on pbi service, right? Although i would like to schedule a refresh time. Maybe i can’t or i don’t need to cose it’s this kind of data.
Is this right?

Hello @pedroccamara,

Actually since the Excel and CSV are the static files we cannot perform a schedule. If the data would have been in a server than we could have collaborated that data into the Power BI Gateway option and from there it would have been possible to update the datasets automatically by scheduling a refresh.

In my case, my organization does the same thing and therefore all the reports are automatically updated twice in a day without doing it manually.

In your case, I thought your data would be in a server and from there you would be fetching it but in the case of static files it’s not possible to have an schedule refresh option.

Here’s the statement provided in that article by Microsoft -

When you manually refresh, or schedule refresh, on the dataset, Power BI connects directly to the external data sources to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. Refreshing a dataset from within Power BI does not refresh the data in the workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

I’m sorry @Harsh, how are the dataset updated automatically?

Hello @pedroccamara,

Ohh… sorry typing error actually I was supposed to write Reports but by mistake mentioned it as Datasets.

My sincere apologies.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

@Harsh does this means if my sources and pbi file are both in one drive, (csv and xlsx) and once my sources are updated, my reports are also updated, without having to open pbi desktop, refresh and publish?

Hello @pedroccamara,

Yes, there are two options available to you. You can plan a schedule refresh to update your reports automatically or else you can also manually refresh it.

Since both of your files are located in the One Drive I’m providing a link below of an article as well as of a video which will help you to achieve the given task.

I hope this is useful to you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive#:~:text=Once%20you%20save%20the%20file,from%20the%20original%20data%20source.

1 Like

Hello @pedroccamara,

I’m also providing an additional video link below which is just an extension of the previous one.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Video Link - Power BI Get Data from Multiple Files in a Folder on OneDrive for Business, No Gateway Needed and Schedule Refresh

1 Like

Thank you so much @Harsh This is awesome!

Hello @pedroccamara,

You’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad I was able to help you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

To the contributor of this post. Thank you for sharing your experiences around Power BI, please don’t hesitate to add more discussion or add value to wherever you think you possess the experience or knowledge that can help others in our Ecosystem Group. You can also help us in improving the Support forum further by answering the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey. We appreciate the initiative and your help in this group!

1 Like