Power BI- import one large table or ten smaller tables

Hi Cristian
Thank you for doing this example, it’s really good and I like how you used the questions together with the answers. In my data table when we download the completed survey I have the questions as headers and then the responses underneath. For Access we don’t import the questions only a very short field name. In the example you did were the questions imported Into the model as the first row?

I can see how your sample study works for questions that can only have one answer but how do you manage questions where multiple options can be selected eg “illness” a respondent could have more than one illness?

Thanks for all your support
Andrew

I would choose option B: keep a single connection to the Excel file and go from there to build several fact tables, all connected with the same dimensions. Then you can have separate pages exploring each area or a specific page looking into 2 or three areas compared to the same dimensions.

Regarding Decomp Tree this is the first link I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_wN-kUIcGs but there are other ones related that can be watched. There is a specific one I liked shoeing how can you build Subtotal Percentages: check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxCCfFmLTQ.

If you liked my inputs please mark the answer as a solution.

Regards,

Cristian

1 Like

It’s great to know that you are making progress with your query @Ducati. Please don’t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ‘solved’. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hello Cristian

Thank you for the linkages to you tube they are very useful. I am glad you agree with option (b) as that does make the files easier to manage in PowerBI

I have a couple of questions with respect to the survey questions but I will add that as a separate questions

Thanks for all your help really appreciate your support
Andrew

Hello Cristian
Thank you for the example. Please can you advise me on a couple of things in your survey model
(a) The attributes table - is this where you have the survey questions and response options?
(b) please can you show me how you set up the table/chart so that when you click on a response option you see the percentage that chose that option - I think that is a neat solution to some of our questions

Thank you for your support
Andrew