Power BI Challenge 9 - Wrap Up!

Power BI Challenge 9 - Wrap Up!

Hello to all challengers and fellow Power BI enthusiasts another couple of weeks seem to have flown by.

I’ve been super busy with all the changes around the pandemic and have been working on some Covid-19 reporting, it’s given me a great idea for a future challenge so watch this space.

It’s also been all hands-on deck on the Enterprise DNA front with so much going on this past week. We completed our awesome business intelligence summit, there was also some great content released around the analyst hub, teamed with forum posts around machine learning and where to start.

Oh and did I mention the release of the first ever episode of “The Analytic Mind” by Enterprise DNA. An awesome new podcast hosted by our very own founder and CEO Sam. The podcast is a game changer from Enterprise DNA looking at all things Power BI and data. The first episode is looking at integrating a data culture into an organisation with our very own @BrianJ . Its well worth a listen in my opinion but i’ll let you judge it for yourself. See the link below.

Back to the main event, the challenge! The 9th instalment did not fail to disappoint another demonstration of the awesome community we have and are developing. The standard of work being produced is truly outstanding.

The creativity, vision, craft and stories being told in the entries is astounding and a great source of inspiration for anyone looking to understand what power bi is and the possibilities.

I want to applaud and congratulate all entrants for taking the time out to get in involved in these challenges and providing so many of us the incredible learning opportunities.

I think one thing that I feel is necessary for me to mention and reiterate every week is the benefits of participating and the impact it can have on your development. We at Enterprise DNA truly believe that getting hands on and practicing with real scenarios is the fastest way to mastery. So I again encourage you all to try and get involved with the challenge in some capacity.

We’ve got some exciting and innovative things lined up for the challenge so please do get involved.

The winner

I seem to have exhausted my vocabulary and thesaurus for superlatives to describe the work being produced in these challenges. I know I might sound like a broken record here but the quality on display is astonishing. Some very detailed and powerful analysis teamed with some great story telling.

This week’s challenge was no easy ask it was a tough dataset that covered a lot of techniques across the power bi stack. It required a blend of power query, DAX and visualisations in order to deliver the end goal.

A massive well done to all of you who participated.

Picking the winner is never an easy task. As a developer myself I know the time and effort that it takes to produce a compelling report. I always like to look holistically at the solution and sometimes remove myself from being in a developer mindset.

When reviewing challenges, it’s sometimes easy for me to get enthralled into looking at all the specific mechanics of building a good data model the calculations produced as the geek in me comes to the fore and I love exploring the techniques you guys are implementing.

However we also know that the technical details and analysis alone don’t make for a great report.

It’s answering the question that is being asked of that data and presenting that back to the business in a meaningful way that they can base their decisions upon.

This week’s winner delivered all this and some in their report. It really was a masterful delivery from a one……@alexbadiu . A truly stunning report. Well done @alexbadiu an excellent delivery. Truly masterful user experience and interface. I think someone in the forum summed it beautifully ‘I’ve never seen someone able to provide so much information with so little on the page’ (Credit to whoever said it I agree :blush:). When playing with the report however you get analysis across several dimensions not to mention the data, people and process layer that Alex conjured up (I have already taken this idea into my work thanks Alex :P). Congratulations @alexbadiu .

There where some highly commended efforts from several others who ran Alex down to the wire from @Neba, @datazoe, @Hideo excellent work all round.

First time participant Winner

Last challenge we launched our exciting new category for first time participant winner. Which is open to all members, all you must do is join the challenge and let us know it’s your first time participating.

The winner for this challenge was @Craig some excellent analysis and a great first report. Welcome to the challenge and looking forward to seeing more of you in the coming challenges.

There was also a highly commended effort from @Alex7891 a great first entry. See you on the next one.

There was also a superb entry from a non-member Rachwen with a great delivery. Great job @Rachwen_Mesbehi thanks for sharing with us.

Feel like i’ve been going on a while here!

A massive well done to all participants really appreciate you all getting involved.

Feedback

Going to keep it short for this I think there are some excellent resources available within the Enterprise DNA platform around currency. I think around the specifics of this dataset I might do another post for those of you interested in hearing more about the background and scenario.

Conclusion

I look forward to welcoming more of you in the next challenge.

A massive well done again to @alexbadiu and all participants.

Remember any questions queries do not hesitate to get in touch.

Feel free to email powerbichallenge@enterprisedna.co for any queries or reach out to me personally on haroon.ali@enterprisedna.co

Keep your eyes peeled for challenge 9 which will be released soon.

Speak soon,

Haroon

Enterprise DNA

13 Likes

Congratulations @alexbadiu for excellent report once again.
As always excellent write up by @haroonali1000.
Kudos to other participants also for their amazingly creativity and insightful reports.

5 Likes

Congratulations @alexbadiu! Awesome!
Greg

5 Likes

Congratulations @alexbadiu, @Craig and @Rachwen_Mesbehi
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Amazing stuff.
And a massive well done to all who entered this time round because this was quite the challenge!

7 Likes

Congratulations, @alexbadiu! Another magnificent report that is a perfect fusion of beautiful design from the user perspective, rigorous analysis on a particularly difficult dataset, and clear and actionable recommendations. Also, thank you for an absolutely epic writeup. I’ve read it three times through already, and have gleaned new insights from it each time.

Also huge shoutout to @Craig, @Alex7891, and @Rachwen_Mesbehi. Our goal is for the challenges to involve a continually expanding group of Power BI users, and so it was great to see some new names, styles and ideas in this round of the challenge. Congratulations @Craig on your win, and I will be in touch directly about getting you your prize.

Finally, I totally agree with @haroonali1000 regarding the exceptional work done by from @Neba, @datazoe and @Hideo. Great work by all three and much to learn from their entries and writeups. I also wanted to shout out the sustained excellence of @Mohammed_ali. I really like your design style and analytical approach, and look forward to seeing your entries each month.

Thanks to @haroonali1000 for continuing to challenge us in new ways, and for taking on the incredibly difficult task of having to judge these spectacular entries. Also, great wrap up!

Well done all on a very difficult challenge! :clap: :clap:

• Brian

P.S. I was not able to submit an entry this round, in part because I’ve been working with @sam.mckay and the expert team on a new eDNA community initiative that we’re really excited about and think you’re going to enjoy. Keep your eyes peeled for the kickoff, planned for the week after next…

11 Likes

Well deserved @alexbadiu! Congrats!! Thanks for the call out @haroonali1000 – I don’t envy you trying to decide these winners – all the responses are so good. Congrats also @Neba and @Hideo, and also to @Craig, @Alex7891, and @Rachwen_Mesbehi!

7 Likes

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation :slight_smile: !
I share my win with all of you guys! Without this incredible community I wouldn’t motivate myself to push learning, testing and improving. You are all part of my Power Bi learning journey. I enjoy these challenges and seeing everyone’s submissions. Everyone is improving and the progress of each participant can inspire others to do the same. I recommend all new users to try this experience. It’s Christmas every couple of weeks :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@haroonali1000 Excellent 5 stars write up :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
@alexbadiu Congratulations!! Of course your reports are stunning 5 starts and also you are very very nice person :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
@datazoe and @Neba congratulations for your shinning reports! :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire::fire:
Also congratulations @Craig, @Alex7891 and @Rachwen_Mesbehi! :blush:

8 Likes

Amazing job everyone! Well deserved @alexbadiu!

2 Likes

Also super excited for this new podcast!

1 Like

I feel proud and honored to share my ideas and my work with a community like this.
@alexbadiu , @datazoe, @Neba ,@Hideo, @Craig ,@Alex7891 and all the other participants you all are enthusiastic and energetic, Thank you once again!

7 Likes

Firstly, I would like to give a a Great Big Thanks to Sam & the Team for designing such an awesome learning opportunity. I personally learnt a lot by combining the skills that I have learnt so far… It also highlighted some of my weaknesses that I still need to improve upon… The challenge created an ideal opportunity to stretch my skills, improve my modelling abilities, DAX authoring, report design and visualisation skills all in the same space… A true test for anyone who wants to take their abilities to the next level… Congratulations to everyone who participated… Just to get to the stage where you have something that you feel worthy of displaying in such a proficient community makes you a winner already… I loved looking at the other entries and found everyone to be inspiring… @alexbadiu , @Rachwen_Mesbehi , @Neba , @Alex7891 , @Hideo , @datazoe , @Mohammed_ali , @bradsmith , @haroonali1000 .
Looking forward to the next challenge and another opportunity to keep learning everything Power BI…
@Craig

8 Likes

Amazing work @haroonali1000

Well done once again @alexbadiu

Just sensational work being completed in the challenges. So inspiring.

Next big step for us is to get corporate sponsors for the challenges! I’m working overtime on this as we have to do it. The Challenge initiative deserves it. You all deserve it!

Sam

3 Likes

@Craig,

When you have a chance, please check your forum account DMs re: 1st timer prize. Here are the steps, if you’ve never accessed the personal forum message function before.

Thanks!

• Brian

Snag_1c05e6eb

1 Like

Congratulations @alexbadiu, @Craig, @Rachwen_Mesbehi! Well-deserved win.

Enterprise DNA Team

9 Likes

The pictures are nice, but there is only so much you can learn from a picture. Where are the pbix files?

@jgriffit,

They are all downloadable from this site on the portal:

• Brian

Thanks @BrianJ.

@BrianJ and @sam.mckay loving the podcast!!

2 Likes

@Shrik,

Thanks for the feedback! Really glad to hear you’re enjoying it.

• Brian