Power BI Challenge 8 - Jira IT Service Desk Analysis Entry from Timothy (non-member)

Here’s the entry from one of our non-member participants, Timothy.

image

image

image

Here’s the link to the report:

And here’s how Timothy described it:

(Special thanks for Brian Julius for publishing the report)

Features I tried this time:

  1. Used a Switchboard to allow the user to select among the four areas:
  • Executive Dashboard – a quick overview
  • Quality Control Dashboard – to provide quick information on three key areas
    1.Incomplete records (no due date)
    2.Tickets with a due date before a creation date
    3.Tickets closed without a close date
    (The green text boxes indicate the # of records in this area and will update if an individual user is selected)
  • Page for Person Specific Details. (For this – I have a button to show the list of names to select from. Selecting a name will then active the button to view the details.)
  • Page for Ticket Details (Similar to the person, there is an option to search for a ticket and then see the specific details)
  1. Using R script in the Power Query to get a separate table of “Watchers”. To do this, I used a copy of the “Tickets” dataset, removed all columns with the exception of the “Issue ID” and all “Watchers” column. Then – I used a simple R Script to convert the table into “key-value” pairs. The output is a separate row for each unique Issue ID and Watcher. I then cleaned this up by splitting the columns to remove the email address and convert the end result to just the person’s name.

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements, through the Data Challenge our members can now share how they built their dashboard and what their inspiration is in building it. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.

Nice one Timothy. I like the creative nature of your switchboard. I still like to also create navigation pages like you have done here even though we now have the power BI apps. You’ve shown with your design here that can still work quite well.

I like how you have in some ways tried to create grids in your reports. One thing though that I don’t like particularly is in some of your later pages you’ve tried to jam too much into one page and you have taken up room where your header section should be. Try to be more creative in the page design and navigation when you can so your pages can stay more or less consistent in there overall design.

Really interested that you’ve used some R script here. Let’s some Burley high level analytical work. So well done for thinking outside the box on that on.

Look forward to seeing more from you in future challenges I think you’ve got a lot of value to add.

Sam