Power BI Challenge 7 - Purchases, Inventory And Sales Entry from Hideo

Here’s Hideo’s entry for Power BI Challenge 7. @Hideo, feel free to add other details of your work.

Here is the link to the report:

And here’s how Hideo described it:

This time I took Q&A style. When I was thinking how do I build report with having brief copied on the canvas, I thought this is a good idea to following the questions so I did not change any one word from the three key focuses.

Q1 Average delivery is 36.1days and can see further by clicking the vessel button.
Simple bar chart but try to stand out with having orange line which is a spike of slow delivery items.
I have try to focus on delivery days by items to make sure we consider those delivery days for the next re-orders.
I have try to explain as much as possible by narrative so the consumer can choose fast delivery and slow delivery items by using the Days slicer in the basis of average delivery 36.1 days.

Q2 Location is on the right end to make the most of the space.
Average storage is 15.9days and can go further by clicking the truck icon.
Same logic with Q1 has been applied on Q2.
Again I have try to stand out for the slow moving items delivery by orange bar.
By considering the average storage 15.9days, we can pick up fast moving items and slow moving items easily by using the storage days slicer.
For those slow moving items we would consider purchase quantity and timing for the next re-order.
Vice-versa, we need to consider to order more for the fast moving items.

Q3
Prepared two answers.
For the answer 1, by clicking the first chart button, billing details chart pops out to show the billing details by date. Orange lines are highlights when the big bill spike happens. (no image to save screen)
The 2nd chart button for Answer 2 is interesting.(Image as below) Because by changing the TOPN material number, pie chart is going to adjust as per your selection. Also Answer 2 itself is changing according the number entered. Number 50 is set up as a default which means top 50 materials dominates 81.0% of total billings.

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

2 Likes

What a really cool design. I love how you’ve broken this out into three separate sections on the report. That’s really quite innovative and I think you’ve thought really hard about the creative aspect of the challenge and really appreciate your efforts here.

I think you’ve also gone above and beyond regarding the insights that you have shown. It looks like you’ve really thought hard about some metrics that would help in making quality decisions. And I think that is a really big part of the critical thinking aspect of developing high-quality reports in power BI. You’ve shown what’s really possible here with any sort of data.

I also like how you have used the dynamic text to tell a story about what a consumer needs to think about and needs to act upon.

All in all, I think this is a really great submission and you fulfilled all of the challenge requirements. One of the best things I think you’ve done is compact it into one single page in a really effective way.

Also, I really love the tooltip you have used as well. The way that it opens up within the page and looks apart of the report is just so seamless and the design is fantastic. I really am so impressed by this feature you’ve added and I’m totally going to steal it in future report development. Even thought this is likely a different page (I can’t even tell) it’s just so seamless.

Really high marks on your work here. Appreciate the effort you’ve gone to to make this so compelling.

Sam

2 Likes

@sam.mckay

Thank you so much for your review. Without your constructive review also support from other members and experts I would not have improved my skills. I just want to say thank you for all the members and experts for giving me the opportunity to share the report. Also it is really nice to hear that you can find something to steal from the report :blush:
It is really nice if I can return something to this community from what I have learned so far.

Thank you so much for your review and all the best wishes to all the members.

Regards,

Hideo

2 Likes