Power BI Challenge 6 - Insurance Complaints Entry from Jarrett

Here’s Jarrett’s entry for Power BI Challenge 6. @JarrettM, would you like to share how you built this dashboard and what your inspiration is in building it?

Here is the link to the report:

To learn about the real-life scenario presented for the challenge, be sure to click on the image below.

power-bi-chal-1

Hello Fellow Enterprise DNA Rock Stars,

I really enjoyed this challenge from start to finish. This one took a little more time than I usually spend, due to the complexity of the model. Spent most of the time getting the data model structured. I did not create a bunch of measures for this one, tried to keep things simple and easy to understand. One of the first things I did was remove the customer type of “company”, and only kept “individual”. That is the main reason my numbers are a bit off from everyone else’s entry. I did not think comparing individual to company made much sense, and a majority of the data set revolved around the individual.

Company Logo & Colors

Here is Company Logo I chose for this challenge, as well a pictures of each of the slides.

Once I had the image picked out, I went to 2 different sites to pick out my color scheme:

1. https://analysthub.enterprisedna.co/colour-theme-generator

2. https://imagecolorpicker.com/

Then I go to https://themes.powerbi.tips/ and enter the hex codes that I got from the 2 previous sites, and download my JSON color theme file that it provides.

The next step I do is go over to Microsoft PowerPoint and design each of my slides. Once I have that completed, I then use each one of those pictures as the background for each of my slides. Here are the finished products of each of the slides:

Data Model

My approach to this was to keep it simple, but there were many complexities in this one.

One of the first things I did was merge the data from the State Regions Table into the Regions Table. The trickiest relationship was between the Status History and Complaints Table. Went back and forth in a chat with Brian Julius & Greg Philps. The next step that I did was create most of my measures that were needed for the Key Measures Table.

Putting the Model together

This was the very last thing that I did. I tried on this challenge to have icons that did page navigation throughout. I had a home page where you could go to any other slide, but also included icons on every slide so that you could navigate back and forth with ease. I was pleased with how that turned out, and I have started using this more in models that I develop for clients.

Conclusion

Overall, this was probably the most difficult of challenges so far. Try not to get discouraged if you did not submit an entry for this challenge. This was a tough one to crack, especially if you are a newbie to Power BI. I really learned a lot from all the entries for this challenge. One thing I would suggest to everyone in these challenges is that it is fine to keep things simple, you do not need the big wow factor. In my opinion, many of the top entries are the ones that are simple, and easy to understand.

Cheers

Jarrett

2 Likes

The one thing that really sticks out to me here is the below

It’s honestly like a work of art when you look at it like this.

This wouldn’t go amiss in some design website focused on UI.

I think it’s just the use of colours with a darker background. It just makes things pop that little bit more when you have that sort of contrast with white lettering.

Also the insights are just really well laid out in simple grids and the colours are beautiful in their simplicity. The theme you’ve chosen is superb.

Love the company logo.

I also just really like the consumer experience. It’s so easy just to scan across the boxes that you’ve created with the bar charts embedded into them. It’s simply tells me what I need to look at and my key take aways from the analysis.

To me this is the complete package. It showcases how are you can bring together quality insights and represent them in a compelling way.

Top work

Sam

2 Likes