Power BI Challenge 17 - Environmental Data Reporting

Thanks FPastor and merry Christmas (or feliz natal as we say)! Although I can understand Spanish due to the similarity, around here we speak Portuguese hahaha

Brazil was a colony of Portugal (in fact at one and short point in time we became an united kingdom with Rio de Janeiro being the capital of the kingdom of Portugal). When we became independent, the first king was the son of the king of Portugal.

Oppp! Sorry Fernan, I thought you were Spanish.

Welcome to the challenge anyway!!!

F Pastor

1 Like

No problem. It was my bad also. I put a small flag of Brazil next to my name on my report, so I assumed that you saw it hahaha.

1 Like

All,

@sam.mckay and I were privileged to be the main presenters at DiscoverEI’s monthly Power BI for Enviros meetup event, where we discussed the charge, challenges, entries and lessons learned related to Data Challenge 17, our first challenge focused on environmental data.

For those who missed the event, here’s the Blog Page for it:

and if you click on the “Join YouTube” button behow our photos in the blog entry it will take you to the recording of the event.

One note - we didn’t have time to get through NEARLY all the great entries we wanted to discuss, so we will probably do a YouTube vid of our own highlighting these entries within the next few days or so.

If you’re interested in learning more about environmental applications of Power BI, then I definitely recommend regularly attending their monthly meetngs, starting back again in Jan 2022.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

All,

Just an update on the judging and closeout of this Challenge. @haroonali1000 and I met with the submitter/“client” (both the Data Analyst who has been our primary contact for this Challenge and a senior manager involved in the broader indicators project) for over an hour today and it was absolutely fascinating.

For the eDNA Challenges, we try not only to provide real-world, challenging and relevant scenenarios to help you develop your Power BI skills, but where possible provide the closest thing we can to a real-life consulting gig, since this is a direction many of our members are interested in pursuing (or already do) . In this way, the submitter has been incredibly generous with their time and input, providing very thoughtful and detailed perspectives on which elements of which reports really hit the mark for them and why.

Judging for this Challenge is complex, since we have not only the overall winner, non-member winner and newcomer winner to judge, but also each of the individual data category winners. The submitter is putting together their thoughts on the individual data categories for us by COB Monday, so we will be reviewing that, conferring and then releasing the final results by mid-week next week, possibly in video form…

Might seem like overkill to some, but we really want to take advantage of the unique situation we have here to give you perspective on how a real-life client viewed your submission. We think you’ll find it valuable and enlightening.

More to follow soon…

• Brian
6 Likes

Great report @JarrettM, love the images and colours. So compelling.

2 Likes

@alexbadiu This is fantastic. I’m trying to do the same concept for the VP of Sales at my company with oil rig data. Showing what customer and how many rigs they have operating in certain counties in Texas and Oklahoma. I’m using Mapbox as well. But I love the tooltip visuals on each county. Great job.

3 Likes

Here’s the entry from one of our non-member participants, Wilhelmina.

7 Likes

Can someone please help me. I am trying to download some of the pbix files in the challenge portal to practice but I keep getting an error. I have contacted support but no one has come back to me. Here is error message.

@ambepat ,

I will take this one up with @EnterpriseDNA team and make sure you get resolution on this. In the meantime, let me know which ones you want and I can email them to you.

• Brian

@BrianJ I am interested in Kim Cook, Fernando Moreira and Sam Mckay files. Not sure if you’ve got my email.

1 Like

@ambepat ,

Turns out I am having similar access problems. Have contacted the eDNA support team and I’m sure they will address this as soon as they’re back in the office.

• Brian

Hi @BrianJ
I had the same problem too.

Thanks
Keith

Hi @ambepat and @Keith, we apologize for the error.

We will update the links in the file as soon as possible and will get back to you once done.

Thanks

@ambepat and @Keith ,

It all seems to be working fine now. Let us know if you have any additional problems.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

– Brian

Congratulations @tweinzapfel @fernan95 @Paul.Gerber @KimC

Individual category winners @fernan95 @KimC @tweinzapfel

1 Like