Power BI Challenge 16 - Wrap Up

Greetings to all challengers and fellow Power BI enthusiasts another excellent challenge draws to a close.

It’s been as busy as ever in the Enterprise DNA household with some great videos and an addition of a brand-new course in Python for Power BI. @gmh1977 has pulled together an absolute knockout introductory course to using Python in Power BI. I highly recommend checking this out for any analysts starting to dabble with more advanced capabilities within power bi.

I’m sure this will kick off the age-old debate of whether you should be using R or Python? We’ll leave the debate to reddit and LinkedIn forums. In my personal opinion they are both super useful and taking the time to cover the basics of both languages will leave you in good stead.

So where were we, ah the challenge!

The creativity, vision, craft and stories being told in the entries is astounding and a great source of inspiration for anyone looking to understand what power bi is and the possibilities.

I want to applaud and congratulate all entrants for taking the time out to get in involved in these challenges and providing so many of us the incredible learning opportunities.

I think one thing that I feel is necessary for me to mention and reiterate every week is the benefits of participating and the impact it can have on your development. We at Enterprise DNA truly believe that getting hands on and practicing with real scenarios is the fastest way to mastery. So I again encourage you all to try and get involved with the challenge in some capacity.

A big thanks to @ericet for providing this challenge scenario and the data :blush:

We’ve got some exciting and innovative things lined up for the challenge so please do get involved.

The Winner

Cue the broken record! AMAZING! WOW! You can do that in power BI! Some very detailed and powerful analysis teamed with some great story telling.

A massive well done to all of you who participated.

Picking the winner is never an easy task. As a developer myself I know the time and effort that it takes to produce a compelling report. I always like to look holistically at the solution and sometimes remove myself from being in a developer mindset.

We have a challenge first for the winner!

The winning entry was from a non-member. A massive congratulations to @robert.maembe A brilliantly executed report. Welcome to the club Robert.

A fantastic entry that covered all the basics and some. The calendar visual with the heat map was excellent (will be ‘borrowing’) some solid analysis all round.

An excellent effort Robert and covered everything that I would be looking for in this particular scenario. Looking forward to seeing you in the future challenges.

There were some highly commended efforts from across the board from the usual suspects.

@FPastor

@datazoe

@JarrettM

@KimC

@BrianJ

There was also an exiting entry from expert @sedhosen who has incorporated some R analysis and will hopefully deep diving into R and his approach in some videos and posts shortly! Excited!

First Time Participant Winner

We had some excellent entries from several newcomers which was great to see hopefully a few more next challenges?

Sabine was this rounds first time participant winner. A great effort all round with some solid analysis. Look forward to seeing you on the next one!

I just want to take this opportunity and give massive pat on the back and thanks to all participants. Seriously I’ve loved reviewing the entries and there are always elements in every report that I like and copy into my own development.

I know how long it can take to develop a quality report, so I just want you to know that we truly appreciate the efforts of every contestant. We know that getting hand on is the fastest way to mastery and that’s why we believe the challenges are so powerful.

So a massive thank you to all participants you are all winners for taking the leap and testing yourself and embedding learnt material. Hopefully more of you to get involved in the next round.

Conclusion

A massive well done again to @robert.maembe and @Sabine and all other participants.

Remember any questions queries do not hesitate to get in touch.

Feel free to email powerbichallenge@enterprisedna.co for any queries or reach out to me personally on haroon.ali@enterprisedna.co

Haroon

Enterprise DNA

12 Likes

OMG Thank you so much! I am very honored, to win this challenge :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Big congratuations to this month’s winners @robert.maembe and @Sabine!!! :clap: :clap:

Outstanding reports both amid an array of strong submissions, and great to see a lot of new faces in this Challenge.

Also, a big thanks to @ericet for the initial suggestion of this challenge, and the provision of a rich dataset. Personally, I really enjoyed working on this one, and we are always open to member ideas on issues/analyses you would like to see addressed.

Finally, keep your eyes open for Challenge #17 coming very soon. With that one, we are going to begin implementing some enhancements including a series of open “office hours”, where eDNA Expert @MudassirAli and I will be available at specified times to work with Challenge entrants (particularly relative newcomers to PBI and the eDNA Data Challenges) on any questions/obstacles you are facing in putting your entry together.

As always a shoutout to @haroonali1000 for a great job administering these Challenges. Hope to see everyone from DC #16 back again for #17, plus hopefully many more…

• Brian

P.S. Sabine - I’ll be in touch shortly re: getting you your Newcomer prize.

7 Likes

Well done to the winners and all the fantastic entrants!

2 Likes

Congratulations Sabine, really innovative entry and told a great story.

5 Likes

Well done Haroon, nice wrap up

4 Likes

Congratulations Robert and Sabine !!

Lot to learn from you all !!!

2 Likes

Congratulations to the winners. Great submissions and a very good job.
Thanks for sharing your vision and skills with us

3 Likes