Power BI Challenge 12 - Wrap Up!

Hello All,

I trust you are keeping well.

For many of us it has now been over a year in lockdown with restrictive measures placed on our daily lives!! There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine being rolled out and some sort of return to normality (whatever that is now). So just wanted to say let’s keep going and hopefully we can beat this pandemic!

Firstly apologies for the slight delay in closing challenge 12, due to family commitments (4-month-old!) I was a little stretched last week.

Where to start?!

This was probably one of the most difficult challenges we have had to date. So a massive well done to all of you who managed to get something across the line.

The data quality, number of columns and understanding of the domain all added up to a hefty workload. As a developer I know the amount of time that can be poured into creating a report so seriously I just want to say a massive thankyou to all participants on behalf of Enterprise DNA as we know the effort and time participants put into the challenges.

The client was absolutely blown away with the work on display and could not believe that the work was produced in two weeks. The ideas on display were way beyond their expectations and they could not believe that this was possible in a tool that you can start using for free!

Super impressed.

Although the number of entries on show wasn’t quite as high as normal there was some great variety and some excellent analysis in every single entry.

I think the task was made even more difficult with the openness of the requirements, but every single entry had some great analysis and there were some great interpretations and areas for the business to focus on.

The winners

Its never an easy task to judge the entries as there are always elements in very solution that I like and learn from.

The winner for challenge 12 was a superb entry from one… @sedhosen! Congratulations @sedhosen an excellent entry covering all 4 pillars of a good solution a real step on in your report development. Really looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future challenges.

The innovation prize goes to @tweinzapfel an excellent entry which again had a solid foundation covering the 4 key pillars however the feature which helped @tweinzapfel secure the prize was his very innovative tool tip showing the income and expense a very clever idea and one ill definitely be taking into my own work.

There were also some highly commended efforts from @Alvi another stellar report and you are establishing a unique Alvi style that is instantly recognisable.

There was also a terrific entry from @Alex7891 a real step on from your previous challenges and a real super entry that would have challenged the winners if it was on time (sorry!) but none the less a super entry and some excellent features that I will definitely be ‘borrowing’ in my own work.

I also want to call out an excellent effort from one @DMercier who made the leap to join the challenges on what was a hard task. David has recently started working through the Enterprise DNA content and in his own words is working on the visualisation aspect of power bi however the model he produced was very comprehensive, an excellent start to his challenge career and he picks up the first time participant winner award.

A massive well done to all participants, a seriously difficult challenge which was hit out of the park!

Now there’s one entry I’ve yet to cover off and that’s the JMAP entry from the enterprise experts. Seriously wow wow wow. ‘What reporting will look like in 2050’ was a perfect summary of this superb entry from the dream team of @BrianJ, @JarrettM, @Greg and @MudassirAli Based on feedback the expert team are excluded from winning however I think this report demonstrates the value of having the experts participate. An outstanding entry. Judge it for yourselves.

Really looking forward to some of the follow-up sessions for this entry so much to learn.

I feel very privileged to be working alongside these guys and the value they bring to the table is second to none. I think all Enterprise DNA members and Power BI enthusiasts are very lucky to have access to such a resource and learn from some of the best in the business.

A massive shout out to all the expert team who continuously strive to help in the forum and continuously give so much back to the community.

On that note I must call you all to checkout the amazing course on mapping and geospatial analysis from another fellow expert @Paul If you want to take your maps and geospatial analysis to the next level this is a course you must take from one of the absolute best in the business.

Conclusion

It was a difficult challenge; however Enterprise DNA members have stood up and shown that even with the most difficult of data sets they can produce outstanding reports and analysis.

A massive well done to all participants.

A real testament to the quality of the content we have at Enterprise DNA to equip you to tackle any problem.

That’s all from me folks. Sorry if I’ve rambled on.

A super exciting challenge lined up for number 13 stay tuned!

Thanks all, take care and speak soon.

P.S. The Admin team will be in touch shortly with regards to prizes.

Haroon

12 Likes

Many congrats to @sedhosen. Well done!

4 Likes

Congrats to everyone. Well done. Super challenge round

4 Likes

Awesome job all around on what I would definitely say was the most difficult of the dozen challenges to date. While @Alvi has been banging out great entry after great entry since the early days of the Challenges, what is striking to me is for @sedhosen, @tweinzapfel and @Alex7891 this is only I believe their third entry each, and while their early entries were quite good, their submissions this round are absolutely elite.

Really clear evidence to me that putting in the time and energy on these challenges, studying the other entries and really absorbing the constructive feedback you receive can dramatically up your skill level in a very short period of time.

Also, a great debut by @DMercier. Very much look forward to seeing more of each of your work in future challenges.

Truly inspiring group of entries – great job all!

– Brian

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement @BrianJ. I think participation is the key and provides the best learning and improvement. The slope of the learning curve might differ between individuals but the constructive feedback you get is only possible if you participate in the challenge.

3 Likes

@Alvi,

I agree 100%. One of the best pieces of feedback I’ve gotten was from @alexbadiu , who said “creativity is not a constant”. Some challenges will really “click” for you, while some will just be a struggle start to finish, but putting in the reps challenge after challenge regardless definitely pays off big in the end.

• Brian
3 Likes

Wow, many awesome submissions! I have a long way to go, but the journey seems well mapped out by EDNA. I would love to see the data models. Maybe I can and just don’t know how?

1 Like

Congrats @sedhosen! Excellent job. And, I definitely agree with @Alvi on the participation being key (which also goes with the problems of the week). It has definitely helped me, not only in trying new things/learning new techniques, but also seeing all the different creative approaches that others take. Looking forward to Challenge 13.

4 Likes

Congratulations to @sedhosen and to everyone participating because at the end it is a win for any participant in these challenges because first we prove ourselves we can submit professional work and second we keep learning all together from each other !

Best,
Alexandre

4 Likes

Congrats to everyone! Your reports were really great!! :clap::clap:

1 Like

Congratulations to all the winners and the participants, as well. Submitting your entries is in itself a big leap towards improving your reporting skills. The whole Enterprise DNA Team is grateful for all your participation.

Congratulations @sedhosen!

Congratulations @tweinzapfel

Congratulations @DMercier

Please check your inbox for your prizes.

Thanks @haroonali1000 for another great wrap up, we look forward to the next challenge!

See you all in the next challenge! :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Enterprise DNA Team
2 Likes

Many thanks for taking the effort to challenge us and recognize the effort made. EDNA community is awesome and inspiring. Well Done

3 Likes

Hi everybody

@haroonali1000, @Alvi, @BrianJ, @tweinzapfel, @alexbadiu, and @Alex7891 Thanks for all your kind words.
As @Alex7891 mentioned, this is a win for all participants. So, congratulations to all of you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also thanks to the eDNA team for their efforts in running these great, inspiring challenges. I’m so proud to be part of such a fabulous, talented team of Power BI experts. What I have done was the result of combining what I have learned from the enterprise DNA learning center and what I have learned from all the tremendous reports that participants done in the previous challenges. I learned a lot from you guys by scrutinizing previous challenges reports.

I completely agree with @Alvi that the key is participating in the challenges and learning will happen then. So, I really recommend everyone who is somehow interested in learning Power BI to participate in the challenges. The first time is always the hardest, but after that, the way is clearer and easier to run.

Very much look forward to seeing more of each of your work in future challenges.
Thanks again.

Best
Hossein

6 Likes