Thanks for sharing.
The inspiration was the JHU dashboard. However, I wanted to take it another step higher and look at percentages instead of just total counts. I thought it would also be good to track the results over time to measure the trends.
I want to test out some of the things that I learned from the eDNA videos, particularly SWITCH. This was my first time using it, and found a perfect opportunity to use it with the toggle switches on the map.
Originally the toggle switches were not on the map, but then I realized I can bring them to front and then free up valuable real estate on the canvas.
USING A DYNAMIC CALENDAR:
I also decided to go with a dynamic calendar instead of a statics calendar. I used the video on eDNA to create the dynamic calendar. The dynamic calendar finds the first and last date in the data set to create the date table. I wanted a date table with start and finish states so the date slider can look more aesthetically pleasing.
I then needed a design that would have high contrasting colors. I chose to go with bright neon colors which contrast well with the dark background. I then decided to add a button for any data nerds like myself, who like to see all the data against each country, so I added the key statistic button.
CHOOSING A FONT:
I think wanted an eye catchy font for Coronavirus, so I went to dafont to find a font type that would work well with this dashboard. I then imported the image in a png because adding the font as a typeface seemed liked an unnecessary hurdle.
Some other items that I wanted to bring into the dashboard are economic data, and stock indexes, and 7-day forecast, but I didn’t have enough time to do this. Maybe I will get around to do it some day.
Hope this helps anyone on some of the steps I’ve taken.