Power BI Accelerator Week #7 is Live!

@KimC ,

It’s the 0 hiding at the end of your SWITCH(TRUE()) statement. That’s not a valid hex code or color, so the Field Value won’t accept that measure. Swap in BLANK() for the 0 and it now runs like a champ…

• Brian
1 Like

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Thank you Brian, so simple when you know!

@KimC ,

Glad I could help. I think we all just flip between these two states… :grinning:

• Brian
1 Like

Yep, 100% me!

Hi Brian:

I can’t access what’s behind the “Highlighting a Row - Table” and “Complex DAX Conditional Formatting Example” comments. Whether I click on the hyperlink, down arrow or in the comment itself, I’m thrown back to the Forum Home Page. Perhaps, it wasn’t the intent to get inside those comments?

Regards,

John Giles

works fine for me, the posting comes up

thanks
Keith

@JohnG ,

Hmmm…working OK for me too. Try accessing it this way and let me know if you can get to it:

Hit return after entering “@brianj Highlighting a Row” and see if you can access from the search results.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @BrianJ, another awesome accelerator. This was a 100% learning exercise which has taken my limited conditional formatting knowledge to another level.

A massive thanks to @MehdiH for the DAX measures. Without his example I would not have been able to complete this exercise.

Accelerator Week #7 - StevenS.pbix (10.3 MB)

1 Like

No worries, found a work around and used @MehdiH file for guidance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m getting the same, sometimes, then other time it opens fine. I’ve found opening it a new tab seems to work consistently - does that work for you?

All:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I can access the thread, at times, but it’s inconsistent.

Let me figure it out. You all have better means of spending your time.

John G

Nice work Mehdi.
I am curious about your VAR naming - you start them all with an “_” - is this a naming convention or good practice to help a reader understand these in complex calcs (similar to the “@” at the start of temp columns?)

Thanks,
Tim

2 Likes

Thanks Tim.

I found these naming convention watching videos and reading blog posts from MVP and the community around the world.

I use the “_” with DAX variables to find them quickly in the IntelliSense list and of course to differentiate them from other elements in the code.

I use the “@” for the same reason differentiate the column that are added with the ADDCOLUMNS or calculated with SUMMIRIZE(). For me, it’s means that this is not an original column or measure.

I also start my tables name with the ’ also to find them quickly in the IntelliSense drop down list.

Have a nice day
Mehdi

1 Like

Readability and IntelliSence. Very good! I am filing this under Best Practices and will start using it myself. Thanks, and have a Great Day,

Tim

1 Like

Accelerator Week #7 - tboeve.pbix (10.3 MB)
Great Exercise! I borrowed heavily from Mehdi and James work - nothing too original in my solution but I enjoyed working through this.

Thanks,

Tim

3 Likes

Thanks to Medhi’s example, I’ve pretty much completed the exercise.

However, I can’t suppress the text (Hex Code) in the Heat Map legend, and the Global Sales in the white cells of the Heat Map, itself.

I know I should change the font to match the background, and I’ve done so in the past. I can’t figure out how to do it with Conditional Formatting.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Advanced Controls - use the same Field settings for the Background and Font colors.

2 Likes

Accelerator Week #7 - Problem Set Final-ES.pbix (10.3 MB)

Hi @BrianJ

Please find attached my entry and thank you for this opportunity,I have learnt so much
and still learning, I sometimes struggle to keep up.

@MehdiH you are a star :smiley:, I got a lot of inspiration from yours, I learnt how to group Measures into folders, something I found helps to group measures in a very efficient way IMO. Again I learnt new stuff going through your DAX measures , I even use some in mine, really appreciate it and thank you very much.

I struggle with star ratings bit and I am going to put the time in to get round it and I
couldn’t get the Matrix to have the same look as the shown in the Mockup

2 Likes

@Eze ,

You’re making fantastic progress - keep up the great work! Simple trick to apply on matrix heatmaps - just apply the same measure you used to conditionally format the background color to conditional formatting of the font. That’s one of the awesome things about the Field Value approach - you can reuse the exact same code for different purposes, with zero tinkering of the conditional formatting screens required.

Hint for the star rating - check out the REPT function.

• Brian
3 Likes

@paidcritic ,

Nice work - solutions are spot on! Great to have you participating in the Accelerator.

• Brian
1 Like