Power BI Accelerator Week #4 is Live!

@stevens,

No pain at all. You’re making terrific progress, and really appreciate your level of engagement in this initiative. Will get back to you this aftenoon re: your Qs.

• Brian

Hi All,

Here is my submission; the challenge solution and a 2nd page “Top 5 Dashboard”

Power BI Accelerator – Week #4 Kim Cook.pbix (2.5 MB)

Thanks @BrianJ for setting a great accelerator, I particularly like working on the 2nd page and I learnt a lot.

Kim

2 Likes

Brian,

Here is my submission. Enjoyed this one. Used Bryan’s submission for hints. Not sure I fully understand his scatter chart method but I will continue to look at it.

Power BI Accelerator – Week #4 Brad Boehnke.pbix (11.4 MB)

Thanks,
Brad B

1 Like

@KimC ,

Wow - this is crazy good! Between your participation in the Challenges and in Accelerator, plus doing solutions on the forum, you are getting in a LOT of top quality reps and it really shows. This second page is extremely interesting analytically and the design and techniques used (particularly the SWITCH(TRUE) measure controller) are terrific. You seem to be making progress in huge chunks at a time.

Fantastic job! Keep up the great work.

• Brian

Thank you Brian :blush: it has been a lot of hard work. Pushing myself to do the challenges and accelerator is making a huge difference.

Hi there,

This ‘week accelerator’ was another excellent one and the extra week provided was not too much, even of great help.
Some measurements were difficult but very instructive and below are some personal notes.

What I was not able to achieve

• Highlight “Jan” and “Feb” months in the “Is ‘Dumpary’ Real? (do studios drop their least promising films in Jan/Feb?)” visual.
  • Add the title of the movie in the “Largest +/- Discrepancies between Viewers and Critics” visual

What measures was hard for me to determine

• The measure I used to filter the “Top 5 Directors”. I took me about 10 hours to get the correct result just because the use of ALL function instead of ALLSELECTED

What measure I did not understand

• I did not understand the 'Total WW ROI’ measure but I used the [ROI] measure and got similar result with the one shown in the Mockup

What technic I used for the first time

• Even if I viewed many videos on the subject, this is the first time i use a support table with switch measure to build the “Highest and Lowest Cost per Critics Review Point”

What comment did tilt

• The scenario provided many insights and guidance to solve the problem but the one but the one that was the most revealing is the one about using Rank to filter the “Largest +/- Discrepancies between Viewers and Critics” visual.

Other eDAN resource I used

One thing I really appreciated

• I really appreciated that, in the list of resources that you provided to solve the problem, you pointed to a resource that is not an eDNA one.

Thank you for the effort made by everyone to make this Accelerator so successful and awesome.

PS: @KimC : the extra page you added is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Please find bellow my solution.
Power BI Accelerator – Week #4 Final Exercise - MehdiH.pbix (11.1 MB)

Thank you for these accelerator problems. The hands-on application of what I have seen in so many videos is beneficial. My submission is below.

This was more challenging than I initially thought it would be. It was an effective exercise at exploring the nuances of DAX and iterators. I did struggle to understand how to take a ranking and then apply it to the next step. Even for the card. I knew how to rank the movies, but then you just get a ranking on the card. Now, you have to calculate the title based on that ranking measure.

I also did not understand how to create the multi-colored grid on the scatter plot. I found a way to do it by creating an image using PowerPoint and then loading into the Plot Area. Others haven’t done that, so I’ll be interested to see how that was done

Thanks, Brian and eDNA team for this exercise.

Mark

2 Likes

@MehdiH ,

Wow – thank you so much for the detailed feedback! This sort of input is invaluable to us in developing the Accelerator problem sets, and also identifying what to focus on during the live solution events.

The one statement that made me cringe was “It took me about 10 hours to get the correct result…” Trust me, I know EXACTLY how it gets under your skin when you can’t get a problem to work out, but, PLEASE don’t spend that kind of time on any Accelerator problem. Just get as far as you can in a reasonable amount of time, and flag it for us so we know to go over that specifically in the solution event.

Really nice job on the problem set, and thanks so much for your weekly participation and contributions.

– Brian

1 Like

Thank you @BrianJ for the feedback.

Don’t worry about the time spent on tasks because for me it is a valuable effort and a very good investment.
Thanks again for your encouragement.

2 Likes

With a little hindsight, I normally ended up finding a solution to the two problems I encountered.

To Highlight “Jan” and “Feb” months in the “Is ‘Dumpuary’ Real? (do studios drop their least promising films in Jan/Feb?)” visual.

• I used a Combo chart with 3 lines and 1 column. The Column is plotted using a measure that return 10 if month is Jan or Feb and 0 else. It is not perfect because I have an indicator in the legend but at least I highlighted the two months.

I also figured out how to add the title of the movie in the “Largest +/- Discrepancies between Viewers and Critics” visual.

• Originally I was unable to use the ‘Title’ in the ‘Details’ field because I was not summarizing the ‘Viewers Score’ and ‘Critics Score’ (the default summarization was set to "Do not summarize’). Changing that to Sum let me use the ‘Title’ in the ‘Details’ field and turning on the category showed the Title in the chart.

Lesson learned :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

Awesome problem setting Brian. Definitely understand topn, rankx, maxx and minx better than two weeks ago.

Formatting that pesky table and scatter graph took up most of the time! Would not have been able to format the table without your guidance to KieftyKids and help from other submissions to get the scatter graph working.

Failed to colour the Jan / Feb part of the Dumpuary Graph or include a background for the discrepancies. Did include a tooltip in the Dumpary which highlights when the most promising films are dropped. Looks more holiday dependent than anything else.

Again thanks. This was a great challenge and a fantastic learning experience.

1 Like

Here’s my submission

Did a few different things, but get to the same insights I believe.

Power BI Accelerator – Week #4 Final Exercise.pbix (11.2 MB)

2 Likes

Really great dataset by the way.

So many ways that you could analyze this.

Maybe a great future challenge.

2 Likes

Hi @sam.mckay,
I am curious what visual you used for Total Movie by Month vs Critic Score?

1 Like

Hi @KimC,

That’s some master sourcery by @sam.mckay
It’s actually a combination of 3 visuals. A stacked bar chart and a table with a transparant shape placed over them preventing the user from making a selection within these visuals, changing the sort order or even selecting one of the underlying visuals.

Hope this is helpful.

4 Likes

Hello Brian:

Here is my submission.

I thought this accelerator was terrific and challenging. I can see how Variables provide the answer to many of the questions I’ve had.

I was able to complete the exercise with one exception, that being to limit the Average ROI to the Top 5. I was all around it, but just couldn’t put the pieces together. Certainly, I will refer to the solutions of other participants, also.

I’ve reviewed Medhi’s solution. Very nicely done. It’s amazing how straightforward the answer to a problem can be when you attack it logically. I didn’t incorporate his solution into my submission, although I will do so after the fact.

1. Critics/Viewer Choice Cards - I thought this was fairly straightforward until the visuals failed due to ties. I tried to use Concatenatex to list the multiple movies, but failed. I tried to lift the logic that Alberto Ferrari used in the Variable Debug tutorial, but failed. He knows how many variables are being passed because of the slicer. I guess there’s no way to identify/trap when Topn returns more variables than the stated number? In any event, I found a way to break the tie.

2. Breakdown by Genre - This was an easy one ( I hope my solution doesn’t make a liar out of me). I did use the Filter Pane to limit by the .02 threshold. Perhaps, I’ll go back to adjust the visual to use DAX.

3. Top 5 by Avg ROI - I sailed along on this one until it was time to limit by Top 5. As I said above, I came close, but just couldn’t nail it. At the risk of becoming cross eyed, I had to walk away from it.

4. Dumpuary - Another straightforward visual. I decided to pass on the shading of January and February in favor of spending more time on DAX related activity.

5. Scatter Chart - I thought this visual would be very difficult, but it was fairly easy. Again, I took a run at the shading, but decided to return to the Top 5 Avg ROI visual. I was unable to find a means of listing the Movie Title adjacent to the bubble.

6. Highest/Lowest Cost per Critics Review Point - The DAX was easy here, but I had a problem with the right hand column that list the Highest and Lowest data. The fog lifted when I realized that Accelerator 3 had a similar requirement. I referred to my submission and saw that SELECTEDVALUE and SWITCH settled matters. I will check to see how others eliminated the Column Headers.

I any event, here’s my PBIX. As far as the Accelerators, keep ‘em comin’.

John Giles

Power BI Accelerator – Week #4.pbix (11.2 MB)

3 Likes

Hello Kim:

Not that you need to hear this from me, but very nice work on your alternate page.

I’m a staunch advocate for multi threaded visuals, and you did a terrific job with your entry.

Regards,

John Giles

3 Likes

@Melissa, I thought there was something tricky going on by the master!! Thanks for the tips, I can see what he has done now :grinning: I really like how @sam.mckay has combined the chart and table together and the transparent overlay is genius.

3 Likes

Hi Mark,
Explore the Analytics pane of the Scatter Plot visual.
You can apply many features including “Symmetry Shading” this is what I used.

4 Likes

Thanks @MehdiH. As with the table high / low table its simple when you know where to look!

2 Likes