Power BI Accelerator Week #1 is Live!

Hoping the third time is a charm.

Thanks,
Brad B

Power BI Accelerator -Week 1 Boehnke Rev 2.pbix (8.6 MB)

2 Likes

@bboehnke ,

Bingo!

• Brian
1 Like

Hello,

Here is my attempt. Being my first attempt at any challenge, and I had to refer to several resources to come up with this solution

I have still not managed to calculate the number of sales of the top 5 products

looking forward to more such challenges in the future.

Power BI Accelerator -Week 1 Problem-Japj.pbix (8.7 MB)

1 Like

@jps ,

Outstanding submission. I particularly like how you explicitly calculated the high and low sales values.

You definitely took the harder path here. (Click on “Summary” below for more details).

Summary

I was not expecting folks at this point to use DAX RANKX or TOPN to find the top 10 salespeople by total sales or the top five products by number of sales. At this point in the training, I was just expecting people to use the Top N filter type in the filter pane

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with referring to other resources when you create your submissions. In the “real world”, I almost always refer to prior reports, The Definitive Guide to DAX, snippets I’ve stored in Analyst Hub, and other resources when developing a report.

Thanks very much for participating!

• Brian
2 Likes

All,

Thanks to everyone who joined for the Power BI Accelerator Week #1 live session today. If you weren’t able to join, but are still interested in viewing the session we will have a recording posted in the portal hopefully later this evening, along with @sam.mckay 's and my solution PBIX files, and the PowerPoint presentation from today – I will let you know when all that is available.

I think we got to all the questions except for one from @Keith. We were talking about the overlap in DAX functions and the need to only learn a subset. Keith asked which time intelligence functions we thought were important/useful to learn. For me, here are pretty much the only ones I use with any regularity – from these, I think you can easily build out all the functionality you need for almost any scenario:

DATE, DAY, MONTH, YEAR, TODAY
DATEADD, EOMONTH
Fields in the Extended Date Table, particularly the offsets and ISAFTERTODAY

The online DAX guide lists 37 separate time intelligence functions. Personally, the seven above combined with extended date table and CALCULATE/FILTER give me everything I need, and in truth I could live without EOMONTH and build that logic from scratch in a variable, but that one’s a nice luxury.

– Brian

2 Likes

All,

The Enterprise DNA team has created a nice section on the Portal (enterprisedna.co) for the Power BI Accelerator initiative. There, you can find all of the Week #1 files, including:

• the initial problem file PBIX
  • @sam.mckay 's and my Week #1 solution PBIX files
  • the recorded video from the live solution session that we did today
  • the slide deck presented during that solution session

Thanks very much to everyone who participated. We hope you enjoyed it while at the same time elevating your Power BI knowledge and skills.

As always, we’d love to hear your feedback, which you can either post in the forum on this thread, or email directly to me at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co.

On to Week #2!..

1 Like

I am struggling on sorting the dates in my chart. I sorted MonthnYear column in Dates table, but that did not rectify the sorting in my chart.

1 Like

@rst5 ,

Great to see your going back through some of the past Accelerator sessions. Can you please provide a screenshot (or your PBIX) of the chart you’re having trouble sorting?

Thanks.

– Brian

2 Likes

Thank you so much @BrianJ for your response. I really appreciate quick reply :slight_smile:
However, on further trying out and following below steps I was able to sort the Month & Year column:

1. Used [Month & Year] column on x axis in the chart.
  2. Selected [Month & Year] column and then on the ribbon at top, selected SortBy–>[MonthnYear].
  3. Coming back on the chart and clicking the 3 dots on top right corner of the chart → SortBy → [Month & Year]

This helped me in sorting my x axis. I have attached screenshot and also my .pbix file. Could you please confirm if that my approach is correct or not.

Thanks,
Raina
Power BI Accelerator -Week 1 Problem.pbix (8.7 MB)

2 Likes

@rst5 ,

Spot on – exactly the right way to do it.

– Brian

2 Likes

Hi @BrianJ

Please find in attachement my submission to the first week of the Power BI Accelerator.

The only comment I will made is because I have participated before this one to the week 2, week 3 and week 4 rounds, this week 1 was easy.

I encourage everyone who is taking the Accelerator to start with week 1 and follow the weeks in order as the difficulty increase week by week.

Thanks a lot for this opportunity.

2 Likes

@MehdiH ,

That’s great to hear, and is my hope for everyone participating regularly in Accelerator - that over time you’ll go back and revisit your earlier entries and find things that you struggled with at the time now look much easier. If that happens frequently, we’ll know this initiative is successful.

Thanks for your continued support and engagement!

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi Brian, not sure if I submitted this assignment. Got to have the certificate!!!

Not a certificate but a “Completion” badge. Power BI Accelerator Week #3 is Live! - Power BI Accelerator - Enterprise DNA Forum

1 Like

@stevens ,

Looking good! I expect you rolled through that one quickly, given what you’ve done to date in #2, #3 and #4.

• Brian
1 Like

Hello!
I know I’m late to this party - and a rank beginner as well. After unzipping the file how do I adjust the file paths?

@mpchean ,

I’m away from my computer at the moment, so can’t send a screenshot but let me try to do it verbally.

Open the PBIX
Click on Transform to go into Power Query
On the left side, click on the relevant table
On the right side, double click the source step
This should bring up a dialog box from which you can change the source path
Do this for all tables needed
Click Close and Apply

Hope that’s helpful.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi:
Can someone direct me to where the original Excel data for the week 1 is located?
Also, is it the case that to enroll in the Accelerator is an additional charge beyond the membership?
While I’m asking questions the intro post mentions a video to be posted. Where
would this be?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Hi @mpchean
We didn’t need the excel data file to complete the accelerator problem for week 1.

Also the solutions to the Accelerator problems are located on the Learning Center Portal

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Keith

1 Like