New External Tool to Create Practice Datasets

Hi there,

I’m running under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ as i’m pulling the information software from Microsoft store.

that might be the issue.

thanks
keith

The script should pickup a windows store installed version. At least on my machine it does.

Are you clicking yes when it asks to run with elevated privelages?

yes…i am

when i click on image it takes me to power shell dialog box (Yes/No) user account control.click yes and does nothing after that

thanks

Is the pbix file located at ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools\Practice Dataset\Practice Dataset.pbix’ ?

yes the files are located there

and the json file you are using is practicedataset.pbitool.json and not practicedataset32bit.pbitool.json

not using 32 bit file

Can you please the install the attached version. practicedatasetdebug.pbitool.json (3.6 KB)

This will prevent the script windows from being hidden.

When you run it again, after restarting Power BI Desktop, can you upload the text output. (It should pause before closing.)

this what comes under the admin powershiell

Looks like you’ve only captured the last couple of items i was after. Does the powershell script show “pbixFile =” … ?

i just don’t want to give to much info

I get that. I work for a security consious company myself.

Are you able to try running the pbix dataset file via windows run? so press Win+R and in the dialogue box that pops up, paste: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools\Practice Dataset\Practice Dataset.pbix

yes worked

Cool. Can you try the attached version of the script.Practice Dataset.ps1 (3.0 KB)

I made a quick change to where i think the problem is.

.ps1…where do i save that?..shouldn’t it be json fil

This will replace the one originaly installed into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools\Practice Dataset\

do i go back to the origional json file