Making a change in Power Bi desktop and Refreshes

Hi Team,

Hope you are well.

I have an easy question that I can’t seem to find an answer online.

I have just created a Power BI report that has an ODBC connection to a database and have set up scheduled refresh. My question is:

• If I make a change within the Power BI Desktop and perform a manual refresh to the dataset, will the change be picked up automatically or will I have to republish the report.

To be specific, I have a department group that I created using an existing column. Everytime I made a change within this group i.e added a new group, I refreshed the dataset within Power BI desktop but the change was not reflected online. I then refreshed the dataset within Power BI app online, still no change. The changes would reflect in PBI online only after I republish and repace the dataset, Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers
S

Hi Suraaj,

You would have to republish as you are making changes.

Any changes you make in the Desktop will not be reflected in the service/online automatically until you republish the report.

Regards,
H

1 Like

Hi @Suraaj, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since January 17, 2020. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Hi @Suraaj, a similar topic was covered in this forum thread link. You might get additional tips here