Line Chart Annotated

The picture attached below is from the book “Storytelling with Data” by Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic.

Just curious is there a way (without using serparate text boxes) to create something similar in Power BI

• Highlight the one line
  • Add the field names to the side not as a legend (keep the eyes on the graph)

Thanks all for your help! #enterpriseDNARocks!

Screen Shot of the data:

1 Like

Hi @mbraun

I think you should look at the power bi challenge 6. We have really great submissions. Check the submission from alexbadiu and Mudassir. Below is the link

Hi @mbraun, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Apparently there isn’t a way within the current Power BI that I have seen or research. I am surprise that no one has requested this. I believe versions of this are available in Tableau and we mitigate the need for a legend.

@mbraun,

Have you used the Charticulator to design your own visuals?
I have designed 90% of the visual you are looking for. I haven’t still figured out how to remove the legend from the end point.

Firstly, I transformed the data and then I loaded it in the charticulator.

Attaching the CSV, LineCharts.pbiviz (240.5 KB) data7.csv (788 Bytes) Line Annotated Charts.pbix (267.7 KB) pbix file and the visual.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for this response. I will certainly checkout Charticulator.

1 Like

Hi @MudassirAli,

I have been unsuccessful at replicating the above annotated line chart using the newly released “Charticulator Visual”. Is it possible to get a demo/sample .pbix file to see where I am going wrong. Thanks.

Hi @J_042

I believe you have to right click on Year & select Don’t summarize option when you drop Year in the measures field section. Let me know if you are facing any other problem. I am attaching the file for your reference.
Line Annotated Charts.pbix (2.3 MB)

Thanks @ MudassirAli. Changing to dont summarize solved the problem.

I do still, however, have an issue when adding a text label (attribute) to the chart and filtering the visibilty by year (e.g, 2010). This works as expected when using the online charticulator but not when using the inbuilt visual as I do not get an option/popup to filter the year(s).

@J_042 You are right. There seems to be some bugs in Charticulator App that should be brought to Microsoft’s attention. For now, I would rather stick to the web version of Charticulator.