Help Needed in Power BI

Hi All,
I am very new to power Bi so looking for some help here
Q. I need to find patient visit volume analysis (visit count by volume distribution by year)
i have the below fields like this

Patient ID Appointment Date Appointment Created Date
90745 27-Jun-05 18-Dec-12
93396 27-Jun-05 18-Dec-12
93396 27-Jun-05 18-Dec-12
79099 27-Jun-05 18-Dec-12

Looking for some help here

Regards
Nag

Hi @Nagi_k.

To help us further visualize your issue, could you please provide as many as you can of:

• Your work-in-progress PBIX file, using sanitized data if necessary
  • Your dataset as an Excel file (again, sanitized if necessary)
  • A detailed mock-up (marked-up screenshot or Excel file) of your desired outcome.

Greg

1 Like

Hi @Nagi_k

I think you should do a modelling effort before we go further ā€¦ there are over 1 million rows in your [Medico] table and there is much repeating data. Your main fact table should have one row per event (visit?), and I imagine after you extract all the patient-specific info into its own [Patients] table things will look much better. Also, it seems that there are multiple records per event: for example, although I guess ā€œChart Numberā€ and ā€œPatient IDā€ are both meant to refer to a specific patient, for ā€œChart Numberā€ = 2099 and Patient ID = 87663 there are 15 records, while my first try at putting this patient into a table and counting her/his visits gave 3 visitsā€¦

There are also many records where the visit appointment date is about 7 years before the appointment created date (I stopped counting at over 8000 with appointments in 2005 and creation dates in 2012).

So, Iā€™d recommend a new model before proceeding. The initial tables I can see are:

• [Dates] - with 1 record per date (youā€™ve already got this)
  • [Patients] - extract and remove as much information from the [Medico] table as you can, with 1 record per patient
  • [Visits] - renamed [Medico] table, with 1 record per visit

Here are the notes I began to keep while taking my first look at your sample:

Setup:

• turned off ā€œAuto date-timeā€ option for this report
  • marked [Dates] table as a date table
  • changed all date formats to ā€œdd-mmm-yyyyā€
  • deleted existing bi-directional relationship between [Dates] and [Medico] tables
  • created 1-to-many relationship between Dates[Date] --> Medico[Appointment Created Date]

Please post your revised model and Iā€™ll take another look.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi @Nagi_k,

Great explanation by @Greg and it is very clear that something is wrong with your data. Why do you have so many duplicate records like below?

Thanks @Gregā€¦Could you please check and correct me here.

Hi @Nagi_k,

So I took another look at your data ā€¦ I was not able to identify the work you did to clean-up the model (perhaps the wrong file was attached?) but did a quick re-modelling effort myself anyways as follows:

• renamed the [Date Table] to [Dates]
  • marked the [Dates] table as a date table
  • deleted all existing relationships
  • used DAX Studio to export the data from the [Med] table to a CSV file
  • renamed the existing [Med] table to [Med2]
  • re-imported the [Med] data to use as a staging table, disabled load (~ 1 million rows)
  • created reference of [Med] for [Patients], and kept only patient-related columns, then removed duplicate (~ 6800 patients)
  • created reference of [Med] for [Carriers], and kept only carrier-related columns, added [Carrier ID] index, then removed duplicates (327 carriers)
  • created reference of [Med] for [Visits], merged with [Carriers] to get [Carrier ID], removed patient and carrier columns except for IDs, then removed duplicates (92525 rows)
  • added 1-to-many relationships:
    • Dates[Date] --> Visits[Appointment Date]
    • Patients[Patient ID] --> Visits[Patient ID]
    • Carriers[Carrier ID] --> Visits[Carrier ID]

The distribution of visits over the last 5 years that I got was:

So, with minimal modelling I reduced your source file from over 1 million rows to under 100 thousand rows. Given that I donā€™t know your data, and that my second quick look resulted in over a ten-fold reduction in the amount of data, please re-evaluate your model before we proceed further, and the revised model that should have no duplicate data and, at a minimum:

• a [Visits] main (fact) table with only 1 row per visit
  • a [Patients] lookup (dimension) table with 1 row per patient
  • a [Carriers] lookup (dimension) table with 1 row per carrier

Hope this helps.
Greg
(hereā€™s my working version of your PBIX file for reference)
eDNA Forum - Patient Visits 2.pbix (949.1 KB)

1 Like

@Greg This helpsā€¦

Thank you so much

Regards
Nag

1 Like

Hi @Greg

Could you please explain the below step how you have done ā€¦What is staging table ?
re-imported the [Med] data to use as a staging table, disabled load (~ 1 million rows)

Regards
Nag

Hi @Nagi_k. Staging table is a common term in data warehousing/data preparation. In it simplest form and how it is used here it means a ā€œholdingā€ table that is used to import data only; I was not able to manipulate your data so had to export using DAX Studio and then re-import so I could use the ā€œholdingā€ or ā€œstagingā€ table as a reference. I disabled load as I only wanted 1 copy of the data in the model, and the 3 references I made would pull the data from the 'staging" table as needed.

You shouldnā€™t need to worry about this, as I hope you can re-visit your source data and vastly reduce the number of rows that get imported when you produce the next version of your data model.

Good luck.
Greg

@Greg
Thank you again

Itā€™s great to know that you are making progress with your query @Nagi_k. Please donā€™t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ā€˜solvedā€™. Also, weā€™ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!