General Ledger Grouping

Do you need the ROUND function maybe? To round up or down? Have you tried that.

Or is you need to make a row totally disappear you need to somehow get some BLANK() logic into the formula. Like IF( logic, BLANK(), answer).

BLANK() results shouldn’t show up in the table

Hi Sam. I’ve used the Round Function but I still have the £ Symbol showing against each value. Is there a way using Dax code to get rid of the symbol?

That would have to be just formatting on the measure. Are you unable to just change the format to a whole number?

Hi Sam
Yes,I have also looked at Whole Number, but the key objective I have is to show Minus numbers with brackets around them and positive numbers without any brackets - this is the desired and popular Accounting format which I’d like to achieve if possible…

hmmmm, yes I see the problem now.

I’m actually not sure if there is a fix for exactly what you need right now. I’ve done some searching (as you likely have also) and can’t seem to find a perfect answer.

Something like this helpful at all?

The formatting may just be not as granular as required right now.

Have you spotted anything else that suggests you can do it?

Hi Sam
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.
Yes I also saw that article (re the link you sent me) earlier on today and found it very interesting.
It seems as though there is no fixed at all for this until we get something back from Microsoft.

I’ll keep on digging and let you know if I find a solution.

Ok great. I’m sure that improvements are coming here. It has come a long way even in the last 6 mths

Hi Garry,
I come across this misconception about BI & Accounting systems all the time.
My automatic response is BI is about finding why things happened, Accounting systems are about recording what happened.

I have been dealing with showing accounting report formats in a very archaic fashion, but I’m glad it was similar to one of Sam’s suggestions - I have been layering calculated columns over the GL Codes then using the matrix visual to produce the reporting & classifications effect I need - but its fiddly

Not pretty, but it gets the job done (sort of)-

• you can get control of the total roll ups - using the row sub-total toggles
  • you get some drill down functionality
  • it means the dax in your measures can stay simpler

Always on the lookout for tips to keep the accountants happy.

Regards,
Brendon

1 Like