Equipment - Recording

All -
I am not sure if this is the best place to post in the Enterprise DNA forum.

Sam or for any other user. In a few weeks I need to create a 6-8 minute recorded presentation on a dashboard that I created…

Questions:

1. What is the easiest/best software to record my presentation?
  2. Should I get a ring light?
  3. Microphone - Already have?
  4. Do I need something to edit it or make it “better”?

Thanks everybody! EnterpriseDNA Rocks!

Hi @mbraun,

Screencast-o-matic is quite good for recording your screen and editing videos.

Brucy bonus - is I think its free from memory or you can pay $50 per year to store your vids on the cloud

Ring lights are good - I’ve had to purchase due to working at home (like everyone) and doing zoom meetings - pick up one on amazon for $25

and just practice and rehearse your presentation, what your going to say and what you think they want to see as the end product.

Good luck

@mbraun,

For the Enterprise DNA videos, we all use Camtasia which is fantastic for screen recording and editing. It’s not cheap though, and if you’re only going to be doing this occasionally is probably overkill. However, if you’re going to be recording videos on a regular basis, I would highly recommend it. You can learn it at any level you need – I just use the basic recording, editing and annotation features and the professional editors do the rest, but if you were so inclined you could fairly easily learn some pretty sophisticated editing techniques. TechSmith, the publisher of Camtasia, offers a wide array of training videos on YouTube at all levels.

For microphones, I think we all use the Yeti. I did a lot of research, and have a really nice and reasonably priced boom arm, shock mount and pop screen set up for the Yeti (again if you’re going to be doing this on a regular basis), and would be happy to share that information with you if helpful.

Agree with @martynross85 re: the ring light.

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian

Another suggestion is to record videos with Snagit, little brother of Camtasia @BrianJ mentioned and then use the Adobe Premiere Pro with monthly subscription. Pay only for the months you record and could be cheaper depending on your usage.

1 Like

@AntrikshSharma @BrianJ - Thank you so much for the quick response. I am going to see if my company has licenses for any of those products.

The software above is a great way to prepare very professional looking videos.

I will add one other option, if you need to do this quickly and cheaply, which I recently had to do.
My company uses Teams for communication (again, because we have many people currently working from home). And I accidentally discovered that you can record a Teams meeting that has no attendees other than yourself.

This will only record whatever is being viewed in the screen share (so no, it won’t record video of the speaker without some careful screen layering), and it will record audio being broadcast over Teams.

So, by ‘hosting’ a meeting in an empty Team (no other members), and talking into my computer headset - I was able to record a quick 2 minute video on how to properly change the date filter in the filter pane from relative to advanced.
It wasn’t perfect, but it worked in a pinch. The videos are saved to Microsoft Stream, you get a link to it’s location, and you can download for saving to a more appropriate area if needed.

2 Likes

@mbraun,

FYI - per @AntrikshSharma’s recommendation, SnagIt offers a free, full feature 15 day trial at:

https://www.techsmith.com/download/snagit/

This is probably the most used program on my computer - according to user stats, I’ve used it 1,913 times in 2020 alone… well worth $50.

• Brian

P.S. @Heather - that is an ingenious, MacGyver-level hack.

1 Like

Yeah, and they extend it for another 15 days as well as far as I remember, so after 30 days format your PC and you have another month of access! haha!!

How to get this on Windows 10?

:rofl:

For user stats in SnagIt, go to Library and it will show you your activity per day, month and year:

• Brian

*bows * Thank you good sir, I have worked hard to hone MacGyver skills

Working with a smaller company - you definitely learn think creatively, particularly when our IT department (2 people) keep saying that ‘they’ll get around to’ reviewing whatever software you need eventually :slight_smile:
Honestly, I am so grateful I was able to get an install of PowerBi desktop approved in the early days of the software.

1 Like

Hi @mbraun, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!