Deneb Template - Speedometer

One of the great things about Deneb and Vega-Lite is how quickly you can customize existing visuals to suit your specific requirements. I saw a speedometer gauge rendered in HTML and CSS inside Power BI the other day and wanted to see if I could create a similar visual using Deneb.

I again started with the Ring Chart template that I posted a while ago, and with less than 30 minutes of changes (it again actually took me significantly longer to do the template development, screenshots, and this write-up than it did to modify the Deneb/Vega-Lite code), had a useful template for a speedometer with poor, average, and good background areas and a needle, all adjusted from the Power BI report.

This template illustrates a number of Deneb/Vega-Lite features, including:

• a title block setting additional display properties
  • a transform block to extend the dataset by converting the percent values from Power BI into arc radians
  • a parameters block to enhance the visual by setting and calculating values (e.g., ring outer radius, ring inner radius, etc.)
  • view composition via layering 5 marks on top of one-another (3x ARC [gauge], 1x ARC [needle], 1x TEXT [needle percent value])

The intent of this template is not to provide a finished visual, but rather to serve as a starting point for further custom visual development.

Also included is the sample PBIX using what-if parameters as a demo.

NOTE: This template is provided as-is for information purposes only, and its use is solely at the discretion of the end user; no responsibility is assumed by the author.

Greg
deneb.speedometer.0.2.json (6.1 KB)
Deneb Templates - Speedometer - V2.pbix (1.3 MB)

3 Likes

Marking as solved