One of the interactive features built-in to the Vega-Lite language is the ability to highlight a category by detecting the mouse location (using its hover position). A line chart can be used to effectively illustrate this feature, and I enclose a Deneb/Vega-Lite template for such a line chart.
This template illustrates a number of Deneb/Vega-Lite features, including:
- a temporal X-axis with label formatting using Deneb’s ability to access Power BI formatting strings
- a quantitative Y-axis with approximate tick count
- automatic assignment of country colours based on Deneb v1.1’s ability to access the current Power BI colour theme
- automatic turning of all non-selected countries lines to “grey” (i.e., those countries that are not currently hovered-over)
- a layered “circle” and “text” mark at the right-side of each line denoting the category (country)
The intent of this template is not to provide a finished visual, but rather to serve as a starting point for further custom visual development.
Also included is the sample PBIX using the Enterprise DNA Practice Dataset as a demo.
NOTE: This template is provided as-is for information purposes only, and its use is solely at the discretion of the end user; no responsibility is assumed by the author.
EDIT: resolved Deneb v1.1 template generation issue and uploaded new template version
deneb.line_chart_with_hover_highlight.0.3.json (3.4 KB)
Deneb Templates - Line Chart with Hover Highlight.pbix (1.7 MB)