Deneb Exercise - Progress Tracker

Many gauge visuals take-up a significant amount of screen real estate, and I wondered if Deneb/Vega-Lite could be used to minimize the required space. Here’s what I came up with:
deneb.progress_tracker.0.2

This example uses a number of optional Deneb/Vega-Lite components, including:

1. a title block c/w subtitle
  2. a transform block to extend the dataset
  3. a layer block with 4 specifications as follows:
    • a bar mark for 100% width background (target)
    • a bar mark for progress
      • width = actual/target; percent) (actual)
      • color = green for 100%; dark grey for <100%
    • a text mark for country (zero-aligned; above bar)
    • a text mark for data label (progress-aligned; above bar; Deneb/Power BI percentage formatting)
  4. a shared Y encoding outside the layer to allow/ensure data consistency
  5. a Vega-Lite input widget (checkbox) to toggle data labels on and off

The intent of this exercise is not to provide a complete solution for finished visuals, but rather to serve as a starting point for further custom visual development.

Also included is a sample PBIX using a small made-up sample dataset as a demo.

NOTE: This exercise is provided as-is for information purposes only, and its use is solely at the discretion of the end user; no responsibility is assumed by the author.

Greg
Deneb - Progress Tracker.pbix (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

marking as solved

Hi Greg. I really like what you have done with the progress tracker. I’m having difficulties figuring out how to eliminate “Show_Data_Labels” check box. I would like to have labels shown with no other option. Can you tell me what I should eliminate in the code? Best case would be to show both the progress as a percentage, along with Actual and Forecast values. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Hi @lancemillercpa98

It is discouraged to add posts to solved threads. Many forum members do not review solved threads, so your issue may be unseen. Rather, start a new thread with your issue and link to the solved thread to maximize the visibility.

@EnterpriseDNA, please split this thread into a separate thread, starting with yesterday’s post by @lancemillercpa98.

Regardless, here’s another version that hopefully provides more direction.

Here’s the steps I took to remove the checkbox:

• remove the “color” block from the “encoding” block in the “TEXT DATA” block
  • remove the “Show_Data_Labels” parameter from the “params” block

Add block(s) for “text” marks to show additional values as desired (e.g., actual, budget, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Greg
Deneb - Progress Tracker V2.pbix (1.4 MB)

Understand and will do. Thank you so much Greg!!