Latest Enterprise DNA Initiatives

Date format in Power BI Service

Hi,

I’ve gone through all the steps in the below thread, difference being I’m using Edge as my browser, but my online Date Filter/Slicer is still displaying in a US Date format when I need UK date format.

Other dates in the report as showing as UK format, just not in the slicer.

Date Slicer Format Issue - Online Service - Enterprise DNA Forum

When I have a DAX issue I’m pretty calm about it…this one is driving me nuts :rofl: :exploding_head: :nut_and_bolt: :chestnut: :coconut: :peanuts:

Thanks

David

Sometimes you need to close your browser or power bi for the date/country/time to update properly and then open it up again.

Did you check your system dates under control panel?

Try that and see what happens
Keith

1 Like

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the response.

I’ve tried all the steps you suggested but to no avail.

Thanks

David

1 Like

Hi @DavieJoe. Can you format the date column display using the UI (not with the pictured format string, but using your desired format string)?
Greg
C9 - Format Data 1

2 Likes

Hi Greg, yes, I can change the date column display using the UI in Desktop. It is in the format I need/want.

Could you write a calculated column that writes the format in DAX?
Example:

1 Like

Could be done in Power Query as well

Hey @cmalone1112 Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a shot when I republish the report later on this afternoon and see how the Power BI service reacts to it. Power BI Service is not my friend today :boxing_glove:

David

@DavieJoe ,

Here’s another theory about what might be causing this problem. When you have a chance, please go into Options and tell us what you see here:

Thanks.

  • Brian

P.S. As a lover of brute force solutions, much respect to @cmalone1112 's suggestion. Occasionally, when I get the inexplicable date misbehavior, I just take the field in PQ, split by delimiters and then merge it back together the way I want it. That usually causes the date gremlin to tap out…

1 Like

Hi @BrianJ I had checked that earlier and it was already set to what you posted.

image

Will check out the brute force solution :muscle: :muscle:

That approach didn’t work, the brute force one that is, below is the slicer on my desktop

image

And below is in the Service

image

From what I’ve been told, our Power BI Licences were originally set up in the US tenancy, this may or may not have something to do with it. I could be clutching at straws…but dates from a table in the same page display perfectly well :exploding_head:

image

@DavieJoe ,

Okay, I wouldn’t have guessed this in a million years but it looks like the problem might be due to the language setting in your browser. (something until 10 minutes ago I didn’t even know existed…). Check this article out and see if it solves the problem

  • Brian
1 Like

I’d picked up on a similar article earlier and tried what it asked. I’m going to go through this article in the morning (logged off the work laptop now) and see if this article adds anything I missed.

Thanks for the searching @BrianJ

Will get back to you tomorrow :+1:t2:

Also try 2 different browsers, each with its own language settings, to verify that it’s the browser and not the PBI Service settings …
Greg

2 Likes

Thanks @Greg will do that.

Unfortunately we only have access to Edge, Chrome is available but I need to download an extension for Power BI to work and IT have blocked that. Friday Fun :rofl:

Went through the language steps in that article that was posted by @BrianJ - The slicer is from my disconnected date slicer which you helped me with recently, I’m not sure if that is useful info or not.

I will try to investigate this a bit more later today. Thanks again for the help.

So it turns out that this is a historical issue, I’m told, due to our licences being created in the US, or as US Licences, that certain filters like my on page slicer will default to US date format as a result.

I’m unsure if this is solvable or not. I’ll leave this post up for today and will post as solved if there is no further actions I can take.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this.

Thanks again for you time and patience folks :+1: :+1:

David

You may not have any choice but stay with the format that you have.

What I would do is to put a text box note on the presentation the date format is dd/mm/yyyy so the user know how to read it.

thanks Keith

1 Like

@DavieJoe ,

If you can post your PBIX file, I would be interested to play with it, since I’m in a similar situation – in the US, but tenant hosted in New Zealand. Would be curious to see if the problems replicate when I try to publish to the service.

The interesting thing is that I’ve never run into this problem before, despite the fact that I use mm/dd/yyyyy and New Zealand date format is dd/mm/yyyy.

This one is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, rolled in a chimichanga…

  • Brian
1 Like

Great minds @Keith - added (mm/dd/yyyy) to the slicer header as a “fix”.

2 Likes