Dataflow Reference has different schema

I am working with Dataflows for the first time in a while, and encountered a strange behavior I can’t explain.

When using the Query Editor, “Reference” is supposed to take the result of the referenced query, after all the transforms are done, right?

When Query B references Query A, I expect both to have exactly the same schema/columns/types. That isn’t what’s happening.

Here’s Query B:
let
Source = #“Query A”
in
Source

Query B has the schema of Query A after like 5 steps were applied.

What’s going on? I’ve tried refreshing the entities, but didn’t help. Why would “Reference” ever end up with a different schema?

I’m missing transforms 6 - 50, which merge in other queries and add columns. Those columns are present in the result of Query A but missing entirely from Query B.

This link indicates that every step of Query A should be encapsulated in Query B. That’s also the behavior I’ve seen in the past. However, in this case Query B is not encapsulating the entire set of applied steps, else the schema would be the same…

Hi @CStaich,

I reference other queries in Dataflows as well - never had any issues - but for all referenced queries “enable load” has been disabled.

• Is that also true in your case for Query A?
  • Are your dataflows designed in a Classic- or New Workspace?

Something to read:

However if you are on a Premium subscription, you might want to look into:

1 Like

Both queries are within the same Dataflow. Query A has load disabled, otherwise I would have a computed entity.

I use New Workspaces.

This is very strange indeed… I have used Reference many times in the past. For some reason, this time it doesn’t seem to be applying the steps appropriately.

I decided to combine Query A and Query B into one single query, which seems to resolve the problem, though it’s not how I wanted to structure this work.

I have a third Query C which also needed to reference Query A, so now I have duplicate Query A code in Query B’ and C’ rather than two queries referencing the same staging query A. Ah well… this works, though it isn’t 100% ideal.

Hi @CStaich, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!