Data Visualization Workout 005 - Hierarchy bar chart + TOPn selector

@KimC ,
It already looks wonderful.
Practicing the use of hierarchical axis was the most important action here.
Really great to see such functionalities as such hierarchy, TOPn slicer, headers (titles).

Amazing work!

@DavieJoe
Awesome idea to link both field parameters using an additional table.
In that particular case/workout, it’s not necessary, because my intention was to actually have two separate slicers, one specifically for determining the sorting measure, and the second one determining what we actually want to see/display on a chart.

However, I was actually thinking about it a lot when creating such workout (wheter to use them as separete “choices” or connect them. I think all options are valid, so it’s totally fine that propose your own solution. It’s really awesome to incorporate individual ideas and contexts, if you will it’s instrumental in the analysis!

Thank you for your feedback on this!

1 Like

Hi @Roberto2
Totally awesome implementation!
Hierarchical y-axis / metric selection (“display as”), topn-selector, tooltip - lot’s of great features here!
I also appreciate your additional effort to create dynamic display of data labels (bottom left corner of the report).

Amazing work as always!
Thank you for participation!

1 Like

Hi @jtej001

Cool entry, clean & elegant as always!
So many features implemented. All looks great!
Displaying “both metrics” has been applied by using 4 measures within a field parameter and by adding one extra category (group) for 3rd and 4th measure, that get the same ID and name ‘both metrics’.
Case of sorting actually puts the substiantial limitiation (in my personal opinion) when it comes to using hierarchical y-axis (and maitaining proper hierarchical look of axis). I hope it’s something that will be upgraded by MS team in the future. What do you think?

Thank you for participation!

Hi @AngelinaMihejenkova,

There are so many great things in your entry: TOPn selector, additional custom tooltip, different metrics (“Displayed as”), titles and subtitles. All looks really clean!

Congratulate and thank you for participation!

1 Like

Hi @renata_kulagowska
There is already ton of great work put into the entry!
The whole set up looks exactly as it should be.
|'m not sure if you would have a change to make the minor adjustments, but it’s already great.
The only one, small thing that we could additionally think of would be to change the main measure a bit, so each business line would get the same amount of items (in general).

Great work as always. Appreciate your blazing-fast entry and thank you for participation!

@windler.nikki , So far so good!!

1 Like

@HufferD
Visualizations in provided screenshot / gif already looks great!
Appreciate your effort on this one!

Ah, I realise now I’ve overthought the field parameters, simply stick the measures in a filter and active select all :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Regarding the slicer selection “Displayed as” - I’ve used a single field parameter with four separate metrics, where 3rd and 4th being revenues and gross profit, and those two measures has been grouped into “both metrics” using additional sections within the field parameter).

2 Likes

Hello Friends!

Find below my origin visualization set (PBI file may include some additional tables / measures related with other workouts if they’re based on the same dataset).

Workout 005 - Gustaw Dudek.pbix (990.3 KB)

Best regards!

4 Likes

lol, i spent 2 hours looking at data modelling only to figure out I could do this with a select all

2 Likes

Me too :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

how to add manually a group column

or is there any other solution

Hi,

To practice, I try to reproduce the solution, but I am stuck at the visualization of the graph. I am not able to reproduce the Y-axis.

Could you please help me.

Thank you in advance
Remi

1 Like

Hello
Have you tried expanding the hierarchy?

Best regards

Thank you very much.

I was looking for in the parameters of the axes.

2 Likes

Hello,

I can’t get the same cursor would you have the solution please?

Thanks
Capture W005
Curseur moi

Hi @Remi10
It’s the case of “responsive” option.

Best regards

1 Like

Thanks for your answer but if I do the manipulation my circle cursor disappears.
Am I making a mistake?
thank you
005RMA