Data Cleaning Data Query

Hello. I have attached the spreadsheet and the PBI file. The workbook has several worksheets. I am asking for suggestions and best practices to start. I know I will have to unpivot a lot of columns but just thinking about what’s the best way to start. Thank you for looking at it. I’m not asking for someone to do the work but more so where to begin.

Paul
Billing Projections AGC 04.07.22.xlsx (903.1 KB)
Project Financials AG.pbix (782.3 KB)

Hi @Paul.Gerber! We noticed that your inquiry was left unsolved for quite some time now.

Looks like your inquiry was out of the experts and users’ bounds.

We strive to answer ALL inquiries in the forum. However, if you are sure that you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, you can check out tutorials to learn this yourself as your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done. Thank you!

In my experience, this is a situation where you will have to rethink how you organize data if you want to be able to bring it into Power BI directly from the Excel sheet/s.

For one project I worked on there were two main tabs that had everything summarized in a matrix, similar to how yours is. I had to create specific tabs labeled with a (Power BI) tag to get the data into a realistically ingestible form.

Here’s an example of a tab I had to transform within excel to get results:

The original matrix:

The “BI” version of the matrix:

This is a lot of work and the model will likely be particularly fragile to changes in the worksheet. I eventually was able to ingest all of this data into the database and query it that way. Hope this helped.

1 Like

Thank you @Zherkezhi

Since then I’ve went to the customer and we have restructured how the data would be brought in from the database and then into PBI.

It’s a lot better.

Paul

1 Like