Challenge 24 -"Sport - Football/Soccer Players Summer Transfers Season 2022-23

@FPastor

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Hello Platform subscribers, please be informed that due to popular demand Challenge 24 has been extended to 15th December 2022.

We truly understand everyone enjoys the world cup and creativity work on this challenge, so we have determined to extend Challenge 24 - “𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁-𝗙𝗼𝗼𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹/𝗦𝗼𝗰𝗰𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗧𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘀𝗳𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗦𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮-𝟮𝟯” to 15th December.

Please feel free to share any questions and ideas about your entry in our group. We always love to work together to deliver high quality entry! Meantime, try to leverage group posts to inspire yourself.

Federico Pastor

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Franziola Chiu via email.

Here’s how Franziola Chiu described it:

“Please find my entry for Challenge 24“Sport – Football/Soccer Summer Player Transfers Season 2022-23​”​ report. It was quite challenging to participate and make progress on the course I’m taking but also learned new things I hope you like it.”

You can view the full report here
Franziola Chiu

Please feel free to give your feedback on his report.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Neeraj Kumar via email.

Here’s how Neeraj Kumar described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. I used simple ato move across reports and provided users ability to choose their best team. One can also check the fees paid for selected squad and individual fees per player.”

Neeraj Kumar

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Antonio Chavez via email.

Here’s how Antonio Chavez described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”.I hope you like it.”​

Antonio Chavez

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Tanjid Rashel via email.

Here’s how Tanjid Rashel described it:

I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. I want to be Data Analyst, so I am trying to Dashboard on your Dataset. I hope you like it.”

Tanjid Rashel

1 Like

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Veronica Aide via email.

Here’s how Veronica Aide described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA Challenges-24 "Sport – Football/Soccer Players Summer Transfers Season 2022-23. Although the subject was a little difficult for me, it helped me a lot to practice calculations in DAX, so I am happy with the result. Each challenge helps me a lot to continue with the learning path.”​

Veronica Aide

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Tiago Appiani via email.

Here’s how Tiago Appiani described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. This is my first entry and report. I hope you like it.”​

Tiago Appiani

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by P Pavan Kumar via email.

Here’s how P Pavan Kumar described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. I had built multiple drill though filters which can help in digging down the data.​
Report consist of two pages Summary and Details page. Don’t forget to click on each visual so that you won’t miss the hidden detailing…”​

P Pavan Kumar

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Rico Balibalita via email.

Here’s how Rico Balibalita described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA Challenges-24 "Sport – Football/Soccer Players Summer Transfers Season 2022-23. It was a great learning experience while doing this Power BI Challenge. This is my first attempt at using Dark mode in Power BI; please provide any feedback that may help me improve my reporting dashboard.”​

Rico Balibalita

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Philip Giroux via email.

Here’s how Philip Giroux described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA Challenges-24 "Sport – Football/Soccer Players Summer Transfers Season 2022-23. It was a great learning experience while doing this Power BI Challenge and thank you for unknowingly encouraging me to participate in these challenges.”​

Philip Giroux

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Robert M Estevez via email.

Here’s how Robert M Estevez described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA Challenges-24 "Sport – Football/Soccer Players Summer Transfers Season 2022-23. It was a great learning experience while doing this Power BI Challenge, I love football but have been disconnected lately, so this challenge and the World Cup in Qatar have got me back in the groove.”​

Robert M Estevez

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Ruturaj Hegana via email.

Here’s how Ruturaj Hegana described it:

“This is my Third challenge while going through this extraordinary challenge I have learned many new things, ill further work on this dashboard and when its done ill post it on LinkedIn, I will participate in further challenges.”​

Ruturaj Hegana

Please feel free to give your feedback on her report.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by mumakil Adesina via email.

Here’s how Mukaila Adesina described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. It was a great learning experience. Hope you like it.”​

Mukaila Adesina

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Michal Ozimek via email.

Here’s how Michal Ozimek described it:

“I accepted Enterprise DNA’s Challenge 24 “Sport-Players Summer Transfer Season 2022-23”. It was a great learning experience. Hope you like it.”​

Michal Ozimek

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Ashish Barai via email.

Here’s how Ashish Barai described it:

Ashish Barai

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Pa Pa via email.

Here’s how Pa Pa described it:

“Let me admit this first. I have no knowledge of the football markets, their transfer fees, and the transfer system. I’m confused even by the differences between the league and clubs and how they are structured by country. This report took me three days to finish. I hope you like it.”​

Pa Pa

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Damian Wolowiec via email.

Here’s how Damian Wolowiec described it:

““Please see my entry for Challenge 24. I really enjoyed the challenge; the dataset gave me a variety of possibilities. My goal was to create a report with an interesting design and as interactive as possible. I hope you like it”​

Damian Wolowiec

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by John Agebrand via email.

Here’s how John Agebrand described it:

“Please see my entry for Challenge 24. Thank you for a fun past-time between world cup games. I felt a need to add a dataset with players actual nationality, to get oldest player by (actual) country and not the country they were moving to. I hope you like it.”​

[John Agebrand ](

2 Likes

Here’s my writeup :slight_smile:

OVERVIEW

First of all, thanks to EDNA Team for providing this challenge. It’s been a great opportunity for me to continue my learning process, and I was happy to join you as a first-timer :slight_smile:

I’ve started with BI in September, less than three months ago. That is only third report I’ve done and the final one i’ve planed for my portfolio, which has so far consisted of slide deck style report and something closer to web-app style. For third I wanted to create a completely webapp-like report, using advanced bookmarks (which I’ve barely used before), high quality layout and displaying selfmade custom charts.

As you may guess, it didn’t really fit too well with this challenge, since basic requirement was slidedeck. But I really wanted to take an opportunity to challenge myself and compare vs other BI devs, so I’ve decided to participate and create a hybrid, combining web-app style with advanced design and depth together with an easily navigable slide deck style. This way it can be used as slide-show for meeting, preseting main points, while allowing deeper analysis if you’d like to send it to your coworkers afterwards.

Major points of my plan:

• use advanced bookmarks to enable friendly navigation
  • learn Charticulator and use it to prepare effective custom charts
  • prepare hybrid navigation, fullfilling both challenge and my portfolio requirements

I’m looking forward to any criticism, I’ve learned a lot doing it and I hope to learn more!

DATA PREPARATION

In my first data preparation step I wanted to understand data provided as well as possible. Since we’ve been using real-life data of football transfer market, I’ve done some quick research to establish two important points:

• Fees Paid for Player (M) was a transfer fee paid by new club to an old club, not a fee paid to a player. This way it seemed pretty important to analyze clubs in terms of transfer fees paid and received and establish which of clubs have made a significant profit or loss in this year’s transfer market.
  • Fees = 0 meant a free transfer (player’s contract ending in old club, allowing new club to sign him for free) and many known and high-valued players have been transferred this way, so clearly I needed to account for that.

I’ve also done some quick data cleaning:

• Fees Paid and Market Value got multiplied by a million to allow easier display of currency type values formatted as “€ 10M” in visualisations
  • replaced two cases of “attack” and “defence” player positions with more precise positions
  • in cases of clubs playing in different country league, I’ve changed their country to reflect league’s. League country dominates over club’s actual country when it comes to football (for example AS Monaco gets their Champions League spot from French pool, Cardiff City would’ve got it from English instead of Welsh etc), so I thought it makes more sense.

DATA MODELLING

My model:

Clubs
First of all I wanted to create two major lookup tables - clubs and players. For clubs, I’ve done the following:

• referenced source data into TWO new queries
  • first one, I’ve narrowed down to three columns: country playing in / current league / club
  • second one, down to country moving to / new league / club
  • appended second to the first one
  • removed duplicates
  • added index

This way I’ve got a table of 702 clubs from 67 countries.

Players
This one was way easier, as there was no risk of missing any clubs, as there was only one column for each players’ data type, compared to two (old club / new club) for clubs. What I did was:

• referenced source data
  • narrowed it down to Player Name / Player Position (luckily there weren’t two players with the same name AND position in dataset - all such cases were the same player making couple of moves in transfer market)
  • removed duplicates
  • added a simple conditional column sorting 13 player positions in more logical order (GK, RB, CB … CF)
  • built a custom column with only player’s last name; it required some digging in players’ data, and figuring out which part of longer names is first name and which is the last name; eventually I came up with following:
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "Player Name - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Player Name.1", "Player Name.2", "Player Name.3","Player Name.4"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Player Last Name", each if [Player Name.2] = null and [Player Name.3] = null then [Player Name.1]
else if [Player Name.3] = null then [Player Name.2]
else if [Player Name.4] <> null then [Player Name.2] & " " & [Player Name.3] & " " & [Player Name.4]
else if List.Contains({"de","van","da","De","Da","San","La","Le","del","Di","St.","Lo","El","Del","Delle",
"Zambo","Kolo","Issouf","Kofod","Dina","Akpa","Funes","Dybvik"},[Player Name.2]) then [Player Name.2] & " " & [Player Name.3]
else [Player Name.3]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Player Name.1", "Player Name.2", "Player Name.3", "Player Name.4"}),

Transfers
Early on I’ve found out that it’s somewhat complicated to access single club incoming and outgoing transfers at the same time. I decided to model my data a bit differently, and I’ve doubled all entries in my Transfers table, basically going from this:

to this:

It required following steps:

• referenced source, then appended source table once again
  • added Transfer ID (so with 2000 rows in source data, Erling Haaland was now ID=1 and ID=2001, Antony was ID=2 and ID=2002 and so on)
  • merged with Players to assign Player ID
  • merged with Clubs TWICE to assign Old Club ID and New Club ID
  • added custom columns, basically filtering data of old club when ID <= 2000 and data of new club when ID > 2000:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "ID Club", each if [Index] > Table.RowCount(#"Source Data") then [ID Club Selling] else [ID Club Buying]), #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Direction", each if [Index ] > Table.RowCount(#"Source Data") then "Out" else "In"), #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "ID Club To/From", each if [Index] > Table.RowCount(#"Source Data") then [ID Club Buying] else [ID Club Selling]),

• substracted 2000 from all Transfer ID’s, so now both Haaland’s records are ID=1, Antony’s ID=2 etc

This way I came up with model which:

• allows me to easily browse incoming and outgoing transfers
  • allows me to calculate clubs’ transfer market balance
  • forces me to pay attention to filtering my visuals or measures, to avoid doubling transfer data

I ended up using Direction=IN filter a lot, but as a reward filtering clubs’ transfers became a trivial task.

Extra Tables
Later on I’ve decided to include three extra tables, all of which were disconnected from the model:

• LeagueTable
    Here I’ve manually entered recent league tables (only position/club) of TOP5 leagues. Quick job for one useful visualization in each page of the TOP5.
  • Tactics
    Here I’ve prepared a sheet of 12 most common football tactics, with same position names as dataset and X/Y positioning of players in scatterchart I’ve plotted over football pitch in couple of pages.
  • Countries
    Table of unique country:country pairs, with a total of fees paid from first to second country. It was created by joining tables of unique country names and their Country ID’s with source data, converting country names to ID’s and grouping rows by ID-ID combinations and Fees Paid aggregation.
  • FinanceMode
    Tiny table with just two cells - “Market Value” and “Transfer Fee”, allowing user to select displayed financial data in couple pages.

LAYOUT
I’ve created my whole layout in Power Point, trying to move as many graphics as possible away from Power BI to improve performance of my report. All of graphical elements (pitch, club icons, photos, panels, navigation buttons) are part of a background exported from Power Point.

NAVIGATION
In report, I’ve had to build a couple of navigation panels, in order to keep up with hybrid idea of my project:

• Bottom bar navigation - Built with an idea of slide deck style. Whenever double arrow shows up, presenter can jump to previous/next of the key slides: Home, World, Age, Positions, Leagues, Best 11, presenting raport with only six slides containing most important information.
  • Left-side panel and top bar sub-page navigation - Built with an idea of deep-dive analysis in form of web-app. Each of pages linked is a separate hidden page of a report. For TOP5 leagues I might’ve used a hidden slicer, but I wanted to include various clubs/leagues’ graphics in the background, so ended up duplicating them into 5 pages with different backgrounds.
  • Positions page - both slicer-like navigations are actually bookmark navigators. I’ve used this technique in couple pages here. Main/Details are two grouped bookmarks, changing only the drill level of positions chart. Market Value/Transfer Fee are in different bookmarks’ group, changing filter on a hidden FinanceMode slicer.
  • Leagues page - same technique as previously, which makes drilling through a chart much more user-friendly.
  • Leagues-Details page - same techniques, this time with two hidden slicers (mv/fee and leagues grouping: TOP5/Europe/Non-Europe etc) and top10/bottom10 filtering through a simple RANKX function which I’ll describe later

you can see the two sliders here - they’re so ugly I had to hide them right away and use more visually appealing bookmarks navigation!

• Five League-specific pages - I’ve built a tactics popup here, using simple trick I’ve learned in one of EDNA youtube videos. It’s just three elements with two bookmarks, creating following visibility states:

tactics closed, but there’s an invisible button on top of everything, which you can click to open tactics selection

tactics open, so our previous invisible button is hidden now, and we can see slicer with tactics instead; right beneath slicer, there’s a huge invisible button taking up entire screen, leading us back to initial bookmark - whenever user clicks outside of tactics slicer, he actually clicks an invisible “return” button

PS: layer order is the key here, popup and the screen-wide button have to be on top of everything else

CUSTOM CHARTS - CHARTICULATOR
multi-label centered barchart
With every transfer being done between two clubs, I thought it’s a good idea to present biggest transfer on a barchart (allowing visual comparison of transfer fees or market values) with both clubs presented as labels. It would’ve been possible with data bar conditional formatting in a table, but I wanted something more attractive, so I went for my first Charticulator visual.

It’s been a pretty simple one:

• centered rectangular glyph
  • three text labels - old club on the left, new club on the right, and concatenation of four data fields in the middle
  • TOP10 by transfer fee filter, with conditional formatting on fee to create slight gradient effect

Pretty cool how easily we can make slight adjusts and improvements to a standard barchart with Charticulator.

two-way barchart
For TOP5 leagues pages I wanted to create single visualisation combining all crucial financial data, allowing enduser to find out whether club earned or lost money or transfers, and how each of clubs performed in comparison to opponents.

This one was slightly more difficult, but with cool tutorials (Mastering Charticulator course on EDNA + Charticulator’s own sample videos) I learned how to use data axis to present more than one value. On screen you can see my glyph, with two opposite axis, glyph elements (including two shapes, one for each axis, with either fees paid or received binded) and attributes of one of axis.

I’ve also used Charticulator to use shirt icon as a marker for scatterchart displayed over football pitch graphic. I’m not sure whether it’s an optimal solution (looking forward to hear about better options!), but I don’t know how to handle .svg’s yet :frowning:

For map chart displaying flow of transfer fees I’ve used custom visual called Flow Map from AppSource. Very easy to set up, it just needed a proper table of pairs of countries and fees flowing from country A to country B.

DAX / MEASURES
Since dataset was pretty simple, I haven’t done too much fancy stuff when it comes to measures. Let’s try to go through couple of most interesting ones:

Two financial modes - market value / transfer fee - for dynamic chart titles and combo measures
One of DAX patterns I’ve commonly used was creating bi-optional measures, returning different values based on end-user’s selection of financial mode slicer:

Combo Rank by Position in Selected Finance Mode = 
IF(
    HASONEVALUE(FinanceMode[Mode]),
    SWITCH(TRUE(),
        SELECTEDVALUE(FinanceMode[Mode]) = "Transfer Fee", [Rank per Position - Inc Players by Transfer Fee],
        SELECTEDVALUE(FinanceMode[Mode]) = "Market Value", [Rank per Position - Inc Players by Market Value],
       "error"
    ),
    [Rank per Position - Inc Players by Market Value] // if there is no mode selected, assume MARKET VALUE as default mode
)

Looking at code I guess I might’ve just used IF instead of SWITCH, but I like to make sure I’ll see errors immediately when I add “error” option, in case something goes unexpectedly wrong.

I’ve also used the same code pattern to build chart titles for charts changing information based on user’s selection.

RANKX - top10 / bottom10
In charts where extremes of both positive and negative values are relevant, I think it’s a good idea to display top X and bottom X rows in the same chart. To do so, I’ve created a simple modification of classic RANKX measure:

TOP10 or BOT10 Combo Net Balance = 
    VAR clubRank = RANKX ( ALLSELECTED (Clubs), [Combo Net Balances MarketValue/TransferFee], , DESC)
    VAR clubsCount = COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED(Clubs))
RETURN
    IF( clubRank <= 10 || clubRank > clubsCount-10, 1 , BLANK() )

Picking best tactic and generating pitch scatterchart
Two weeks ago I didn’t know how to use DAX Studio, so creating more complex DAX measures wasn’t easy and I’m fairly sure I could’ve done better with this one. Still I’m gonna try to explain my process, maybe someone will point out where I should’ve used different technique.

First step was ranking players by position:

Rank per Position - Inc Players by Transfer Fee = // ranks all players by transfer fee in context of INCOMING transfers (eg. if filtered by league, it will return rank of players transfered INTO league)

VAR myPosition = SELECTEDVALUE(Players[Player Position])
VAR allPlayers = ALL(Players)
VAR filterbyposition = FILTER(allPlayers,[Player Position]=myPosition)
VAR _result = IF(
    CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Transfers),Transfers[Direction]="IN") <> 0,
    RANKX(
        filterbyposition,
        [Total Transfers Fees IN Tiebreaker],
        , DESC
    ),
    BLANK()
)
RETURN _result

[Total Transfers Fees IN Tiebreaker] is just a SUM over all transfer fees (I had to add Direction=IN, as I’ve doubled each row in my Transfers table, distinguishing between IN and OUT transfers), with tiebreaker value added. As tiebreaker I’ve used:

RankX Tiebreaker = 1 - MIN(Players[ID Player])/COUNTROWS(ALL(Players))

I’ve built same measures for market values too, to let enduser choose between both financial values when displaying best 11’s by league. For tactics, I’ve created following table, with X/Y positioning of players on the pitch (pitch axis scaled from 0 to 1000):

Then I’ve created a measure returning X/Y only for players who should be in displayed Best 11:

Player Placement on Pitch X = 

VAR selectedTactic = IF(HASONEVALUE(Tactics[Tactics]),SELECTEDVALUE(Tactics[Tactics]),MIN(Clubs[BestTact]))

RETURN CALCULATE(
    MIN(Tactics[X]),
    FILTER(
        Tactics,
        Tactics[Tactics] = selectedTactic &&
        Tactics[Position] = SELECTEDVALUE(Players[Player Position]) &&
        Tactics[Nr] = [Combo Rank by Position in Selected Finance Mode]
    )
)

At beginning measure checks whether user has selected any tactic from slicer. If he didn’t, I want to display best tactic possible.

Then my tactics table gets filtered by comparing Tactics[Nr] with player’s rank by position. This way measure will return, for example, X=0 for 3rd best Centre-Forward in tactics where only 2 Centre-Forwards are required, and X>0 for 1st and 2nd best. In the end, since I was using Charticulator, I just had to make sure all players with (X,Y)=(0,0) won’t be displayed by setting visibility:

Finally, for automatically picking best tactic for selected league:

Combo Best Tactic by Transfer Fee / Market Value =

VAR _allTactics = SUMMARIZE(ALL(Tactics),Tactics[Tactics])
VAR _max = MAXX(_allTactics,[Combo Squad - Market Value / Transfer Fee For Tactic])
VAR _filterBestTactic = FILTER(_allTactics,[Combo Squad - Market Value / Transfer Fee For Tactic] = _max)
RETURN FIRSTNONBLANK(_filterBestTactic,TRUE())

Transfer Fee for Tactic is just a sum of transfer fee’s for all players getting selected for squad in tactic being currently in context.

As I said, far from perfect, but in the end it does work smoothly in league/club context.

SUMMARY
This challenge has been really fun learning experience! Key lessons/skills I got out of challenge:

• my first contact with PowerPoint since 10 years - very surprising how advanced graphical effects are possible so easily!
  • learned basics of Charticulator - I was already advised to learn Deneb as well, but there’s still a lot of potential in Charticulator I think
  • got the hang of bookmarks - it turned out to be a tool much more powerful than I thought once I’ve discovered ‘selected visual’ option
  • flaticon.com - amazing <3

However, it’s now almost two weeks since I’ve finished my project and I’ve learned many new things in the meantime. Especially on DAX level I could have done better:

• I’ve just learned about USERELATIONSHIP few days ago - when building report I found a workaround by doubling transfers entries, but it would’ve been so much easier and more efficient with USERELATIONSHIP
  • I didn’t know how to use DAX Studio efficiently, now my tactic creation / visualisation functions would’ve likely been more efficient
  • I should’ve separated leagues from clubs table (and clubs country from league country) so I wouldn’t offend Canadians by marking Toronto as American club :open_mouth:

Overall I’m quite happy with final result and looking forward for next challenges!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Hassan Oulhi via email.

Here’s how Hassan Oulhi described it:
“Please see my entry for Challenge 24. I hope you like it.”​

​​

Hassan Oulhi

2 Likes