Analyst Hub external tool for Power BI Desktop

I made this and find it useful. This will add an external tool menu entry to the Power BI Desktop that opens your default web browser to the Enterprise DNA Analyst Hub landing page.

You will need administrator rights to do this.

To install, copy the attachment to the location “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools”

analysthubenterprisedna.pbitool.json (4.2 KB)

8 Likes

Thanks for providing the forum with a great trick @samaguire. We always welcome bright ideas from interested individuals like you and we hope that you continue to share them with us in the future.

1 Like

Wow wow. Didn’t know you could do this

I’ll make sure this technique get’s more widely distributed

We’re also in the early stages of building out the application into a far more comprehensive app.

More details to come shortly.

2 Likes

@samaguire
I don’t see Power BI Desktop under the location that is mentioned above

@sunip

You need at least the July 2020 release of Power BI Desktop.

If you do have this, then you may be running 32bit in which case the folder could be under “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools”.

2 Likes

@samaguire Thank you!

Hi All.

From my personal development efforts, I use the eDNA DAX Clean Up Tool extensively, much more often that the other tools, so I wanted to reduce my click count. I extended @samaguire’s analyst hub external tool link; this one goes directly to the DAX Clean Up tool.
External Tool DAX Cleanup
Thought I’d share it in case anyone might find it useful.
Greg

Just download the
daxcleanuptoolenterprisedna.pbitool.json (7.6 KB)
file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools folder, then restart Power Bi Desktop.

4 Likes

For all those wanting to add “Analyse in Excel” to the external tools ribbon.

Here’s the post and download location for that (SQLBI version).

3 Likes

Looks great in there!

WoW !!! This is the most wonderful news that I saw today.

Really amazing !!!

Thanks a lot for this amazing tool. :grinning:

Thanks for the DAX Cleanup tool @Greg.
This is something handy and much-needed tool for every DAXstic guy. :grinning:

@samaguire,

I updated your Analyst Hub external tool to open to the apps screen of the new site.

analysthubenterprisedna.pbitool.json (4.2 KB)

-Brian

Nice one Brian. Looks amazing!

@sam.mckay,

All credit to @samaguire. I just updated the URL in the JSON file.

Very cool though to have the full capabilities of AH two clicks away, no matter where you are in PBI.

• Brian

Team effort :wink:

Hello samaguire,

I don’t see the the location you indicate on my machine (in Windows explorer). Is it because I installed Power BI desktop by means of the Microsoft Store application, and therefore I can’t add extensions via the method you describe? Is there a work-around?

Really upping my External Tools game

Proudly displaying Analyst Hub as first on the list!

2 Likes

Odd. I’ve only used the store version at work and had to trouble.

Are you able to check the version of Power BI?
File > About

Hello, i’ve been using Edna since a few months ago, and for now, and i’ve just installed “Enterprise DNA Tools”, placing 6 tools on my External tools, from “Enterprise DNA Website” to “DAX Editor Pro”.

Meanwhile i’ve seen a video on youtube where i’ve found more External tools fom Edna, done a google search and found this link.

So, in this sense, i’d like to know:

• how many pages exist on the Edna site to download external tools?
  • what is the current “state of the art” on the findings of this page? Did Sam create a official “kind of External tools second download” package to download, or people are using the links from this page?

Thanks in advance.