Workout Suggestion

I love this Workout concept. I find myself not knowing enough to know where to start or even what to search one to find it.

My suggestion is to post some links to EDNA content that would give us a starting point as to what we would need to learn to complete the workout.

8 Likes

@qholmberg Good question and glad you want to tackle some DAX. I would suggest viewing these free and excellent courses by eDNA and @sam.mckay. These two courses got me hooked and started my Power BI and DAX journey and I haven’t looked back since.

I would also subscribe to their YouTube Channel.

All the best,

Paul

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply, Paul. I’ve been through Sam’s introductory courses (as well as a couple of other content provider’s out there). I’m currently wrapping up Sam’s advanced DAX course. Additionally, I actively work with DAX throughout my work week.

What’s powerful, in my opinion, with these workouts is that it gives a specific assignment to hone skills. However, while Sam’s intro and advanced courses are powerful, I don’t recall coverage of something like highlighting a bar chart based on slicer selection. They are more based on the calculations needed to supply decisions to stakeholders (as they should be).

I would not ask that content be created on how to solve any of the workouts. That would defeat the purpose of the workouts. Rather, there is probably pre-existing content that could help someone who has the proper coursework/experience in understanding the technique so they could then apply that to the workout.

That pre-existing content is what I think would be beneficial to add as a starting point for those who might not readily see one.

@qholmberg Hello there. I think @BrianJ has a few YT videos on this. I will ping him and see if that is true. Thank you so much for the suggestion

@Paul.Gerber … that was just an example. It was not the only example I could have used. I searched EDNA and think I have found something that will explain it …
Dashboard (enterprisedna.co)

Searches for other workouts were not so successful so I just looked at the solution and learned what I could.

1 Like

@qholmberg ,

These are truly amazing times we’re living in. My go-to these days when getting stuck on a problem is to fire up ChatGPT and start prompt engineering. Here’s what I fed into ChatGPT-4 for the workout you referenced and what I got back:

Then you can follow up with additional questions, such as: “but what if I want to allow users to make multiple selections in the slicer?”

The answer that ChatGPT provided, while not exactly the way I constructed my solution, is still a very viable way to go, and a great way to get started if you’re stuck.

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian
4 Likes

Hello @qholmberg

Did the responses above help solve your query?

If not, can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need?

If it did, please mark the answer as the SOLUTION by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then tick the check box beside SOLUTION

Thank you

Hi @qholmberg

Some part of learning path I described at:

Maybe could help …

Agree- these courses by @sam.mckay are excellent training resources.

1 Like

I have not used it successfully for the workouts, yet. But, I did use it for a couple of other roadblocks. It almost feels like cheating.

2 Likes

@qholmberg not at all. You will learn from these. We are all always learning DAX. what I have found is that there is more than one way to solve a problem.

1 Like