Working with timestamps and a Date table..?

Hello,

A while back I joined @Melissa on her wonderful thread Extended Date Table (Power Query M function) . Oh good I thought to myself, I will never ever have to worry about a Dates table again, I’ve got the perfect one! Except now am working with timestamps on AUDIT data.

Question: If I have a timestamp what should I do?

Option 1: Do I convert my “Date” in my Dates table to be a time stamp (so “Timestamp”) and generate a new row for each minute of each day and then map “Audit.event_timestamp to Dates.Timestamp” and then work from there?

Option 2: Or, should I rather create a new “Times” table (representing each minute in 24 hours) and map AUDIT.event_time to TIMES.time ? Whilst obviously keeping the mapping of AUDIT.event_date to Dates.Date as shown in the pic.

Options 3: Is there another better option :slight_smile:

Thanks very much in advance,
Michelle

Hi @michellepace,

From a granularity (and performance) standpoint it’s considered a best practice to split date and time, so option 2. Include a Date- and separate Time dimension table in your model.

You can find an example here in the M code showcase.

Cost of datetime values.

I hope this is helpful

2 Likes

Hi @michellepace , did the response provided by @Melissa help you solve your query?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further?

If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hi @michellepace, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you October 22.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @michellepace, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have any concern related to this topic, please create a new thread.

Super!!! Thanks VERY much @Melissa :slight_smile: