Visualize hierarchy view in Power Apps

Hi,

In Power BI, we can create and visualize hierarchy using several visuals, like this:

Is there a way to visualize such a hierarchy view in Power Apps? The reason being, the customer would want to edit/enter new data and see it instantly. Hence, we are using Power Apps for the entry form and looking for ways to visualize it in hierarchy form in Power Apps. How can we create such a hierarchy visual in Power Apps?

Best regards,
Deb

did you check out power apps in the learning center? EDNA just created new courses this past week

Hi,

Yes, I checked the PowerApps Masterclass, very good material.

But, I could not find anything in PowerApps that could let me create a matrix visual which is easy to create in Power BI. How can I create such a matrix visual in Power Apps, without having to embed it from Power BI?
Product Hierarchy Data.xlsx (9.9 KB)

In Power BI, it has been easy to create using matrix visual.

What functionality can I use in Power Apps to replicate the same visual with Expand/Collapse option?

Best regards,
Deb

Ok. Is there anything on Youtube? Maybe EDNA team needs to add another course related to that.

@DebSJ ,

I think this may answer your question:

• Brian

Thanks for the link @BrianJ, will check if it helps. But, it is strange that Power Apps by default does not have any visual support like matrix visual in the gallery. So, I need to first create a separate input table/view where I explicitly need to create column like Parent ID to hold the linkage. I understand that Power BI is the primary tool for visualization purpose, but overall the Power Platform should have common functionalities by default across different MS tools. Actually, I am from Oracle background, so my thinking was Power Apps = Oracle APEX.

Best regards,
Deb

@DebSJ ,

I agree that is surprising, and perhaps there is an easier way that I’m not aware of. I have a pretty deep understanding of and experience with Power BI, but with regard to the rest of the Power Platform, I’m learning along with everyone else…

– Brian

Have you checked Youtube? looks like there are a few videos there

Hi @Keith,

Yes, I see a few Youtube videos available, not exactly matching the matrix visual and mostly custom solutions, latest as of year 2018, so need some time to try out and check which serves the purpose. I wanted to check if there might have been newer functionalities available in new releases of Power Platform, which I am not aware of… hard to keep track of new features and not getting overwhelmed. But ok, it seems I need to go the custom complex way, will give a try and share my experience here.

@BrianJ, no worries. Learning is a continuous journey, and I feel glad to get a platform like this to be able to discuss ways out. Thank you!

Best regards,
Deb

@DebSJ Post this question on Power Apps community https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Community/ct-p/PowerApps1

1 Like

@DebSJ its all good. @AntrikshSharma suggestion is a good idea for you. You never know what might come up in the that community.

Good luck

1 Like

@DebSJ ,

Our objective and full intent is for Enterprise DNA to be the “one-stop shop” for all your Power Platform training and support needs. However, it’s going to take us a bit of time to build up our expert team on the Power App and Power Automate side of things the way we’ve done very successfully with Power BI. But I’m confident that we will get there sooner rather than later…

– Brian

2 Likes

Hi @DebSJ, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi,
I found the following blog, which gives details on how to configure the hierarchy view, albeit custom but clear steps. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nerdy-article-creating-powerapp-mobile-app-browse-structured-dagan/

I am almost close to the expected solution, currently dabbling between the +/- for Expand/Collapse, but it works.

Best regards,
Deb

1 Like

@DebSJ ,

Nice find - thanks for sharing!

• Brian
1 Like