Visualization Advice - mapping Finished Goods to Suppliers

Hello, Team,

I’m looking for some advice on how to set up a visualization that shows the relationship of components to finished goods and components to their respective suppliers. The data is for a monthly meeting to review the status of critical materials. Ideally I’d like something in line with this example I drew up:

At the top are the Finished Goods, their size representing their revenue.

The Critical Materials are next, color-coded based on an internal risk analysis. For example, the red ones might be single-sourced or just particularly hard to get.

Finally the Suppliers, again color-coded based on an internal ranking.

The objective would be to select any item and see the linked items highlighted. Selecting FG4 would highlight Materials C, D, E and F and Suppliers 4, 5, and 6. Conversely, selecting Supplier 3, for example, would highlight Critical Material H and FG2. The same with selecting any of the Critical Materials.

I haven’t been able to find a suitable, easy to implement visualization. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi @GeorgeK. To help the forum members (who are all volunteers and freely give their time) analyze and respond to your query, could you please provide a sample dataset containing the items, materials, and suppliers along with the linkages you’re seeking? (Either matching the mock-up you included above or please provide a new mock-up of your desired outcome.)
Greg

@GeorgeK ,

Take a look at the following GIAC video – Adam does a nice job surveying the different possibilities to create these types of network graphs in Power BI.

If R is on the table as a possibility, please let me know that as well and I can point you to some of R packages that might work for this.

– Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks! This is just what I’m looking for. One of the comments in GIAC even mentioned the same type of use case.

Appreciate the insight.

Regards,

George

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Will do next time. Brian’s suggestion below is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

George