UTC & Daylight Saving in a measure?

I have an application where I have a date time column that stores transaction dates.

As it happens because I live in the UK we are UTC 0 but we do have daylight savings between March and October every year.

There is functionality in Power BI which caters for this but it seems to involve adding new columns to a table.

I would prefer not to do this as there would be a significant processing overhead when doing refresh on what is quite a large table.

Is it possible to create a measure that would handle this?

Paul

Hi @PaulBoyes ,

I’m not quite sure what are you looking for.

In Power BI there are option Use Locale

and then you can choose Data Type and Locale

Hi

Thank you for your reply. However it does not solve the problem.

What I have is a date/time column that is stored as UTC 0 and what I want to do is to recognise that during the summer months we are on daylight saving and display a time that is actually an hour later.

The other issue is that different users may well be in different time zones and also have daylight saving but with different dates and number of hours that have to be adjusted for.

Paul

Paul

Hi,

Now I understand - you have data stored as UTC 0 (no matter if the hour is +1 hour later during daylight saving time change) in database, and you need something like this:

Different time zones:

Hope it helps.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

My issue is that I would like to avoid creating columns because it will have a negative effect of refresh processing overheads.

If possible I would like to use a measure which will minimise this.

Paul

Hi @PaulBoyes,
This might be a stupid question, why won’t your productions systems automatically do that for you?

Thanks
Keith

Hi

Thank you for your “stupid” question that was anything but. :grinning:

We are getting the data from a device that is plugged into a machine and we are interpreting the data we get.

Our problem is that when users look at summertime data it is always an hour out.

I have seen how to solve the issue by creating columns but the overhead is too high.

We are looking at this data in near to real time using a combination of Incremental Refresh, Scheduled refresh and a Power Automate button to “instantly” refresh very recently added data.

Hence a Measure would be very helpful.

Paul

ok…i worked with systems for years and always thought transaction date/time would be saved within the data extract from the system and never had to change it

Hi @PaulBoyes, did the response provided by the community members help in solving your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @PaulBoyes, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.